cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Verify Very Slow

Level 2
We back up approx 20 GIG of data to a IDE travan tape backup. THe backup takes about 4 hours. The verify wants to take 3 DAYS to complete. HELP!!!!
8 REPLIES 8

Level 3
I have been looking for the answer to this problem for a while. I found the following artical today. I do not know if it will help yet as I will have to wait until monday to find out. But, I will post it so you can try it also.

http://support.veritas.com/docs/192055

I hope this helps everyone.

Level 2
Had the same problem here with verify taking several times the backup time.

Solution for me was to turn the verify off ...

Not sure what verify actually does, but for several months we had a situation where all backups were working and being verified successfully, but when we tried to restore from tapes they could not actually be read.

The only real "verify" is to do an actual restore.

Aalok_Pathak_2
Level 6
Verification process totally deals with the storage hardware. Hence, the verification error gets adversely affected due to bad hardware, bad media or wrong configuration.

When checking the box 'Verify After Backup', Backup Exec will run an operation against the tape, to read the data that has been written. This does not ensure the integrity of the files; it only ensures that the tape can be read. If the data that is being backed up on the Hard Drive is corrupt data, the data residing on the tape will be corrupt as well. This is true even with a successful verify operation.

Check event logs for any hardware or SCSI related errors/warnings.

For a test purpose perform a backup job to backup-to-disk folder to isolate the cause of issue.

Level 2
This is a new drive with all new tapes. Are you saying that my drive is bad? I receive no errors in the event log on the Windows 2003 server nor in the backup job log itself. My throughput just slows to 1-3 MB on the verify only. The backup portion of the job itself runs in a reasonable amount of time with no errors. What should my next course of action be? This is a Certance IDE 40 GIG Drive, so there are not any SCSI issues to deal with. Thanks for the help

Renuka_-
Level 6
Employee
Hello,

1. As suggested to you, for test purposes perform a backup job to backup-to-disk folder to isolate the cause of issue.
2. Check if the SCSI card and SCSI drivers are proper.
3. Check read/write errors in the tape properties. to check for faulty tapes.
4. The verify as mentioned to is totally related to device configuration and device related issues. Chack for event id 7,9,15 which are device related errors in the system event log.
5. Update the firmware and the drivers. Check SCSI cable termination.

"NOTE : If we do not receive your intimation within two business days,
this post would be 'assumed answered' and archived."

Level 2
THis is an IDE backup, not scsi, so there is no termination issue. I now also get sporadic behavior such as cyclic redundancy errors, but the next night, even with the same tape, everything will backup fine. It will work 3-4 days in a row, then another cyclic error. We have 5 new tapes, and the behavior does not change from tape to tape. There are not any device errors in the event logs within windows server 2003, which leads me to believe that the drive is ok, but I cannot explain the randomness of the failures. We seem to be able to restore data, but I am conerned that there is something else going on. Certance is the manufacturer of the drive, and they are of no help.

Ajit_Kulkarni
Level 6
Hello,

I would like to know if you are using Veritas drivers ?
If not then request you to install the latest drivers from the link given below:

VERITAS Backup Exec (tm) 9.1 - Device Driver Installer (20050115) - Includes Tape Driver Release (20041231) and Robotic Library Release (45) (Intel Only)
http://support.veritas.com/docs/273853

Secondly, I would like to know if you have tried taking backup using NT Backup utility and checked the backup rate ? - If not then request to take it and check the rate

Are the anti-virus services running during backups ? - If yes then please stop them during backups. It is always recommended to do so.

Hope this helps you.

Regards.

NOTE: If we do not receive your intimation within two business days, this post would be assumed answered and archived.

Sheetal_Risbood
Level 6
As per our previous reply, marking the case as assumed answered and moving it to answered questions pool.