cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Verify error: "Catalog query for next media failed."

Olan_Wilson
Level 3
"Catalog query for next media failed."
I'm getting this error on the verify portion of one of my backup jobs. I have tried the steps outlined in KB document 271481 and also reviewed document 272997. Document 272997 talks about this error occuring in v9.1 when there are more than 200 pieces of media in the set, but there are only 20 in this media set. I performed the steps in 271481 yesterday and the job still failed last night with the same error.

Any suggestions?
5 REPLIES 5

Ameet_Thakkar
Level 6
This error "Catalog query for next media failed" may occur if there is not enough disk space on the volume where the Backup Exec catalogs are stored.

You could try changing the catalog path to a different drive.
Please refer to the below given steps to move the catalogs to another location.

1. Open Backup Exec and select Tools > Options. Under "Settings"
select "Catalogs"

2. The catalog path may either remain at the default setting or be changed as needed. If the target folder does not already exist, it will be created.

3. After the changes have been made, Backup Exec will prompt for a reboot. Select Do Not Restart

4. Go to Control Panel > Services and stop all Backup Exec services.

5. Browse to the original location of the catalogs and copy all of the

files that end with a .UO1 extension to the new location.
6. Reboot the computer.

7. Open Backup Exec for Windows NT and confirm that the restore selections are displayed.

8. The original catalogs directory can be deleted.

9. Deselect "Storage media based catalogs" option

10. Inventory the tapes

11. Catalog the tapes.
You may find the following technotes helpful in doing this.

http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/200962.htm

We hope this helps. Let us know if the problem still exists and revert back with the error message.

-------------------------------------------------

Olan_Wilson
Level 3
The drive the catalogs are on has over 30Gb free so I don't tihnk it is a space problem.

I will relocate the catalog directory per your instructions and reply tomorrow morning with the results of the verify.

Thanks for your help.

saptarshi
Level 3
Hi,
If you still are facing any further problems you could try unchecking "use storage media based catalogs" under Tools->Options->Catalogs and recatalog the tapes manually. Hope this works for you.

tejashree_Bhate
Level 6
Hi,

Please let us know if you have followed the steps mentioned earlier and whether it has resolved your issue.

If the issue still persists, please let us know the latest updates.

Thanks.

NOTE : If we do not receive your intimation within two business days, this post would be "assumed answered" and archived.

Sheetal_Risbood
Level 6
Archiving the post as per our previous reply