Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Verify remote agent on Debian/Linux

christian1707
Level 3

Hi all,

I've recently been receiving backup errors on a few of our Debian servers:

124.100 - Image/Tracs server -- The job failed with the following error: The media server could not connect to the remote computer. The remote computer may not be running the Backup Exec Remote Agent for Windows/Linux. Make sure that the correct version of the Remote Agent is installed and running on the target computer.

Can someone please tell me how to verify the remote is actually installed, and is running; maybe the debian commands - i've been struggling to locate them with the help of Google!

Many thanks,

Christian

7 REPLIES 7

itsmeaffinity
Level 6

Hi

Can you please verify what is version of backupexec  & debain with updates

1. Stop the RALUS by executing the command  /etc/init.d/VRTSralus stop  and to start again at end enter start

2 ps -ef | grep beremote

If this help mark this as solved

Thank You

christian1707
Level 3

Hi,

Thanks for the commands. I had to test something asap so i just went and rebooted the entire server. If the job kicks off and completes fine i'll assume it was the service that had an issue. I'll use that command if i still have issues.

FYI i'm using Backup Exec 2010. The version of Debian is "Lenny" if that helps.

Thanks!

itsmeaffinity
Level 6

Hi

Thanks for your response & if this has helped you can you please mark it solved

Thank You

Sush---
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

After checking the Software Compatibility List (SCL) for BE 2010 R1 and R2 forund the following information:

Debian

Name Version Service Pack CPU Architecture
GNU/Linux [1] [2] 4.0  r7

x86-32bit

GNU/Linux [1] [2] 4.0 (x86-64) r7 x86-64bit
GNU/Linux 5.0   x86-32bit
GNU/Linux 5.0  (x86-64)   x86-64bit

1. Requires the 'libstdc++5' package installed as root (on the Linux machines) before RALUS is installed. Command: apt-get install libstdc++5

2. There are several NAS vendors that use Debian linux as the core of their platform. This statement is true for some products from NETGEAR, Open-E, and others.Check with your NAS vendor for the underlying operating system and version before determining compatibility with Backup Exec.

So looking at the above information I do not think that Debian "Lenny" is supported.

Here is the link for SCL " http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH137682 "

Thanks,

-Sush...

christian1707
Level 3

Hi

I tried the command /etc/init.d/VRTSralus stop 

... but i got "no sush file or directory", though i am logged in as SU.

Weird... it looks like "/etc/init.d/VRTSralus" is not a directory, but "/etc/VRTSralus" is. I tried the same command, without "init.d" but no luck - "bash: /etc/VRTSralus: is a directory".

Any other ideas? :)

christian1707
Level 3

Thanks, but the package is already installed as root and is the current version! :)

christian1707
Level 3

Lenny is supported as we've been using it ever since. We've just had a few failures on our backup system and have needed to upgrade the firmware. It's not too frequent that machines lost the connection to the remote agent but it happens sometimes and certainly has for this Debian box.