cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Veritas Backup Exec 9.1

MarcusT
Level 3
 I just upgraded my BDC to Windows Server 2003, now I cannot connect to my PDC which is 2000 server with BE to back it up.  Is there something that keeps me from connecting because it is going from 2003 Server to 2000?  It connected fine when it was 2000 Server to 2000 Server.  I reinstalled the client from the 2003 server.  Thanks

Marcus
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Angelos
Level 3
 Hello Marcus,

Uninstall your remote agent, and re-install it on the BDC.

You can copy the c:\program files\veritas\agents\rant32 folder to your bdc and run the .cmd script to install the agent if the "push" feature fails.

Also make sure you do have a remote agent for windows server installed on the backup server.

Angelos

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Hemant_Jain
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified
What is the specific error message you are getting? Are you able to expand the target server in selections? Do you have remote agent service started on the target windows 2003 server? Can you do a telnet over port 10000?

Thanks

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

What service pack is the W2K3 server at?

the SCL indicates that v9.1 is only supported through SP1

kevin_c
Level 4
 Hi Marcus,

If you upgraded a BDC, I am assuming you mean a Windows NT4.0 Box to Windows 2003 Server?  Correct?  You need to have the correct client version installed on your 2000 Box to work with your 2003 Backup server.  I don't recal the exact versions of the client match the Backup Exec software, but there is a list here.  http://support.veritas.com/menu_ddProduct_BEWNT_view_CL.htm

I had a similar issue where I needed to get Backup Exec 10, because 8 wouldn't support backing up items I had on 2003 servers because the client wouldn't support 8.

Hope this helps

MarcusT
Level 3
 hi kevin_c,
Thanks I read up and it looks like everything is supported.  The error I get is "you are not authorized to access this item, a license key for Backup Exec Remote Agent for Windows Servers in not installed on the machine, or the Remote Agent is old or incompatible."  Like I said I used the disc and it asked if I wanted to install the client information on my other server.  I will do some more research, and I will also reinstall to see if there are any errors while reinstalling.

Thanks

kevin_c
Level 4
 I don't know if this makes a difference, but when I setup my backup exec server... to install the client:  I logged onto the server running backup exec and went to add/remove programs.  Select Backup Execand click Change/Modify.  From there, you can push it to the remote server.  Also, make sure you have the license key installed for the client on the backup exec server itself when you push it.  After that, it should connect fine.

kevin

Angelos
Level 3
 Hello Marcus,

Uninstall your remote agent, and re-install it on the BDC.

You can copy the c:\program files\veritas\agents\rant32 folder to your bdc and run the .cmd script to install the agent if the "push" feature fails.

Also make sure you do have a remote agent for windows server installed on the backup server.

Angelos