cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Very poor performance with backup-to-disk-folder

Thor-Egil
Level 2

Hi,

I want to run backups of my Exchange 2010-server to a backup-to-disk-folder in BackupExec 2010R2. This is working, BUT I experience very slow performance on the backup. In average I get 300MB/min as throughput. When I run the same job directly to a LTO-4 tapedrive the throughput is 10 times faster, so something really has to be wrong.

I have tried to set up the backup-to-disk-folder with different parameters, but I never get more that 320 MB/min.

Any tips on this? BackupExec is running on a new Proliant ML350 with 15K SAS-disks so it should be possible to get very good performance on the backup

4 REPLIES 4

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi,

Depends on how you have actually set up that drive that hosts the B2D.

Your RAID set affects this, whether or not you aligned your stripe sets on the drive, backing up locally etc.

What you can do is start by reading up on the TN before, and see if it helps at all.

If not, please post back here...

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH8326

Laters!

pkh
   VIP    Certified

The slowness could also be caused by fragmentation of the disk where the B2D folder resides.

teiva-boy
Level 6

Best to benchmark your disks where your B2D reside using something like HD_Speed ( a free app you can find on google search)

This will give you what your drives/array is capable of doing.  Then the trick is configuring BE to be able to use all that speed.  In many cases drive fragmentation and not allocating all the space now will cause many of the issues.

Formatting to the largest possible allocation unit size also helps too.

Ultimately, you can also send multiple backup jobs concurrently to disk, where you can only send one to tape at a time.  So in theory if you could send 5-10 jobs at the same time, you could end up with shorter backup windows, and then duplicate to tape during office hours without affecting your production hosts or network.

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...any news here?

Thanks!