cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Very slow backup of SharePoint 2001

kelv1979
Level 2
Hi

I'm currently waiting for a support call back but thought that there might be someone on here who could point me in the right direction on this problem.

I've just deployed Backup Exec 11d, having gone the whole hog and bought all the agents I could need including the SharePoint agent.

Ran a test backup on Saturday night which took an amazing 14 hours to backup 65GB of data. Investigation of this showed that 11 hours of that time was spent backing up our document management system which runs on Sharepoint Portal Server 2001. apparently it only processed at 18MB/Min which is obviously VERY slow. Other types of backup from the same server (file backups and SQL backups) run at anything from 183MB/Min up to 394MB/Min which is more what I'd expect.

So I'm thinking that there's nothing wrong with NIC drivers, network infrastructure or the tape drive itself that could cause this issue - if any of these were faulty I'd expect poor performance on other things, not just this. However, I've run out of ideas for further investigation. I've checked the Event logs on the SPPS server and there's nothing there indicating problems. Does anyone have any suggestions for how I can further diagnose this? Is there some way to increase logging in Backup Exec so that it'll tell me if/where it's getting stuck and how long it's taking to do each part of a backup?

Thanks in advance

Kelv
3 REPLIES 3

Ben_L_
Level 6
Employee
Kelv,

Are you selecting the data at the file level or are you going through the agent to select the sharepoint data?  If you are using the sharepoint agent, can you go into the Sharepoint section of the job setup and tell me which options you have enabled?

Also which revision of 11d are you running?  Go to Help - About to get the revision number and hotfixes installed.

Thanks

kelv1979
Level 2
Hi Ben,

Thanks for your reply.

I'm using the agent to backup the entire sharepoint workspace. the options I have enabled are...

Backup method: Full - Back up entire database
Enable the restore of individual documents from the database backup

Revision of backup Exec is 7170.

Any help is greatly appreciated as I appear to have stumped the guy who's assigned to my case.

Thanks,

Kelv

Ben_L_
Level 6
Employee
Kelv,

Can you send me a private message with the case number?  I'd like to look over the case notes to see what has been done and maybe some of the logs he has gathered.

Thanks.