Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Very slow job rate

unarcher
Level 4

Hi

Actually using new backup exec 2012

Server 24 Gb RAM, 4 processor with 6 core each.

Deduplication storage located on a HP StorageWorks with 12 disks 10K

Sometimes, everything is ok.

But the week end during full backups, it may happen that 7 to 10 jobs run during the same time.

and this may become fuckinngggg slow.

Most of times, job rate is from 1000 MB to 2000 MB/mn

but sometimes, during week end, all jobs run from 8 to 20Mb /mn and take forever, I need to stop them to launch them again

What the heck is going on?

Cpu usage is under 5%, Memory seems to be under 25% usage. Disk queue is under 0,05 , network is 10% of 1GB card

I really dont know what I need to do...

6 REPLIES 6

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi,

Firstly, check your language...it's not necessary to use foul language.

Secondly...what's different during the backup runs? You'd need to make sure of the following:

1. Any admin tasks (like Exchange maintenance tasks etc) running? Also check the BEDB maintenance task within BE, and the dedupe reclamation task to make sure it isn't

2. Any AV scans being run during the week on the servers that aren't being run on the weekends?

Thanks!

bnw
Level 2

This same problem has cropped up on one of our servers.  Job rate has slowed to such a point that 2-4 hours backups do not complete in 12 hours.  No virus protection is being run.  The only thing possibly added to the server are small SSIS tasks.

DaveWill
Level 4

We had the same problem recently and to fix it had to reinstall the tape drivers, and then upgrade to latest version of BUE which made a huge difference!  Speeds prior to doing these two fixes were about 100-200MB/MIN and they are now at 1.6-2.2GB/MIN

King_Julien
Level 5

HI,

Please, take a look at

Backup Exec 2012 Tuning and Performance Guide
http://www.symantec.com/docs/DOC5481

Performance issues there are most of the times related to enviroment issues, believe me when I told you that I had an issue once with performance where the backup were running too slow and it was due a faulty UTP wire. :S

Also, if you are using deduplication (I'm not an expert on that option) take a look on the following documention, I know that option requires some specific hardware:

Media Server Deduplication and PureDisk Performance Requirements
http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH156743

That technote is for NBU, but had some point like:

Media Server Deduplication and PureDisk (with or without PDDO) in some environments seem to perform much slower than expected

1. Possible issues involved are using a single large LUN presented from the SAN with multiple disks in the same Column.

2. Possible switch, cable or SAN issues.

3. Make sure that all components (mainboard for the system, HBA, switch, and SAN) are running the latest firmware that may have possible fixes for the issues being experience

and etc, etc...

Hope it helps,

Bye!

unarcher
Level 4

I tried to update all drivers with HP Support Proliant Pack

I would see in a few days if backup speed increase

Sittsom
Not applicable

Speed increase etc...