cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What SQL Server files are unnecessary when using Microsoft SQL Agent?

pete_monger
Level 3
Hallo,

I have a machine, with SQL Server 2005 (and maybe SQL Express) databases and I run two backup jobs. One is a System backup of C: and System State, the other is a Database Backup of the databases.

I have Microsoft SQL Agent installed and licensed.

My question is, which files do I need to remove from my System backup as they are backed up by the MS SQL Agent in my Database Backup?

Looking at the properties of each database instance in SQL Server Management Studio, I have:
Instance 1:
D:\Program Files\SQLServer_2005\MSSQL.1\MSSQL as the root directory, with the Data and Log default locations as:
D:\Program Files\SQLServer_2005\Data\MSSQL.1\MSSQL\DATA which contains .ldf, .mdf, certificates and IDR files
The Data and Log file locations of the (non-system) database within the instance are:
D:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL.1\MSSQL\DATA which contains an .ldf and an .mdf file

Instance 2:
C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL.2\MSSQL as the root directory, with the Data and Log default locations as:
C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL.2\MSSQL\DATA
The Data and Log file locations of the (non-system) databases within the instance are:
C:\Program Files\symantec\Data which contains .ldf and .mdf files
C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL.1\MSSQL\DATA which contains .ldf, .mdf, certificates and IDR files

Instance 3:
C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL.3\MSSQL as the root directory, with the Data and Log default locations as:
C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL\DATA
The Data and Log file locations of the (non-system) databases within the instance are:
C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL\DATA which contains .ldf, .mdf, certificates and IDR files

Instance 4:
C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL.4\MSSQL as the root directory, with the Data and Log default locations as:
C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL.4\DATA which contains .ldf, .mdf, certificates and IDR files
This only contains system databases

Apart from the fact that I have inherited a monster, any other clues?
Is it just any .ldf and .mdf files I should remove? Or should I remove whole directories?

- Pete
1 REPLY 1

Steve_W_
Level 6
Employee Accredited
You would only want to excluded the MDF and the LDF's as they are backed up with the SQL agent.  There are other files in the SQL data folder that you would need to backup that aren't backed up with the SQL agent.