cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What exactly does AOFO do?

Brandon_Turner
Level 2
I am new to Veritas Backup Exec. I'm wondering what exactly the Advanced Open File Option does if it does not backup open files. I consistently get corrupt file data on PST files as well as AOFO errors on Exchange Public Folders, MICROSOFTSMLBIZ, SBSMONITORING, and SHAREPOINT. I am running Microsoft Small Business Server 2003. I will often be doing backups when people are in the office and working and so am looking for the best solution to backup files even if they are open. It seems the only way to get around these errors is to turn off AOFO, which seems like something I don't want to do. Any help would be appreciated.
3 REPLIES 3

Asma_Tamboli
Level 6
Hi,

It is usually recommended that the databases like "SQL" and "exchange" not be backed up using the AOFO and that they be backed up using the agents instead. Refer to the following document:

What is the intended use of the Open File Option and the Advanced Open File Option?

http://support.veritas.com/docs/263784

Note : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked ‘assumed answered’ and would be moved to ‘answered questions’ pool.

Brandon_Turner
Level 2
I tried the directions in the link you sent. I excluded certain exchange files. I still can't backup pst files, but I'm willing to let that go by modifying the registry so it won't trigger an error.

But I still get errors, randomly, about AOFO and cannot for the life of me get this piece of software to backup without errors. Is there a way to exclude certain sections (like the Information Store, or Exchange, etc) from AOFO but still back them up with agents. Right now I have to create different selection lists, then create different jobs. This gets very hard to manage with my (albeit ineffecient) backup to removable hard drive strategy. If I'm missing something please let me know. I just want to be able to tell the thing, backup everything you can, even if its open, but don't tell me errors occurred if you successfully backed the same information up another way!

padmaja_rajopad
Level 6
Hello,

When Advanced Open File Option is activated for a specific job it is activated for all the selections made for that job.

As far as backing up Exchange information without AOFO is concerned the only workaround is to create a separate job without AOFO for Exchange Information Store and Mailboxes.

You may create a second job for other normal files with AOFO selected....

Hope this helps.

Additional Information :
For information on the recent VERITAS Backup Exec security vulnerabilities, including links to the downloads for the necessary hotfixes, please refer to the following document:
Patch summary for Security Advisories VX05-001, VX05-002, VX05-003, VX05-005, VX05-006, VX05-007

http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/277429.htm

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked ‘assumed answered’ and would be moved to the ‘answered questions’ pool.