cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What "backup to disk" speeds are you getting?

ejconcept
Not applicable
I'm testing 11D and am experiencing slow "backup to disk" times. I can only attain about 300MB per min. Can anyone else tell me what the average should be?

Thanks

Message Edited by ejconcept on 05-31-200711:54 AM

4 REPLIES 4

roy_duque_de_es
Level 3
for my exchange, 2400mb/min
regualr servers to disk 404mb/min

TerryT
Level 3
About the same as going to tape-which varies GREATLY depending on the type of files\databases that are being backed up.

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
Is the B2D folder on a disk that is on it's own controller?
On it's own channel ?

Fragmentation will KILL B2D speeds.  But this normally hits as the disk fills and more and more small files are created/reused

(You can use the PreAllocate option to reduce fragmentation due to multiple BKF files )

Rick_Eveleigh
Level 3
Partner
We did a fair amount of testing on this one. YMMV, what we found was:

• RAID0 is way faster than RAID5
  • Processor speed on the Media Server makes a difference if there is more than one job running (check PerfMon)
  • Antivirus settings can make a difference: check if 'scan file on when being backed up' is on or off (on source server and Media Server), and make sure the AV isn't trying to protect the B2D folder
  • Tried various settings on the bkf file size (1GB, 10GB, 50GB), settled on 10GB and not use max space. Ran a full backup every hour for 3 weeks over the Christmas break and didn't see performance drop off. Getting 1200MB/min