cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What specifically do I need to backup on an Exchange Cluster?

Chris_Czech
Level 2
Morning...

I have a Windows 2003 Active/Passive Exchange 2003 Cluster, and I was wondering what specifically I need to backup, to have a successful restore?

Thus far I have only done the following:

● Created a backup selection

● Under User-defined selctions, I have entered the Virtual Exchange Server name.

● Under the Virtual Exchange Server, I have selected the Microsoft Exchange Mailboxes, Microsoft Exchange Public Folders, and the Microsoft Exchange Information Store.

And that is it.

Now because this is on a cluster, and the shared storage for the cluster is also listed underneath the Virtual Exchange Server, do I need to select that as well?

Or, do I need something else?

Or, do I not need anything more than what I have selected?

Thanks for your help and look forward to your response.

Chris

4 REPLIES 4

priya_khire
Level 6
Hello,

In order to backup the databases in cluster, you need to select database files for back up from a database icon on a virtual server. In this case since you have Microsoft Exchange Server, use the appropriate Backup Exec database agent to perform the backup operations.

Thus your selections seem to be fine.
For more information on Exchange backup in cluster, refer to pages 1082- 1086 in the BE admin guide for 10d. Here is the link for download:

http://support.veritas.com/docs/279401

Hywel_Mallett
Level 6
Certified
I would back up:
The local disks on each of the cluster nodes (i.e. C:)
The system state on each of the cluster nodes.
The shared disks through the virtual server name (i.e. F:)
The Information store through the virtual server name.

That gives enough data to successfully recover the cluster nodes and virtual server as part of a disaster recovery plan.

We don't back up the Mailboxes and Public Folders, as we feel it's of limited value, and it's too slow.

Chris_Czech
Level 2
Thank you very much for the replies.

I will download the document and take a look at the pages you mentioned.

Hywel Mallett, thank you for the suggestion on the mailboxes. I was wondering what you do in the event of needing to be able to restore a users mailbox? Do you tell them they are out of luck, and just to go on with life? Or do you restore the Information store to another server and move the data back over? Or ?

Thanks again for the help.

Chris

Hywel_Mallett
Level 6
Certified
We have a policy of retaining the mailboxes (and user accounts) of users who have left for 60 days. So far we've never needed to restore a mailbox.