cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What version?

manningit
Level 2

I am currently running Backup Exec 2010 on Windows Server 2003. My version shows Version 13.0 Rev. 2896 (32 bit). Installed updates are SP1, Hotfixes 358409, 354875, 138449, 354913, 141686, 153396, and 162860. When I do a live update is says I am on the latest. My question: Am I current? If not what should I do? Thanks in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

You are on the original 2010 release (sometimes incorrectly called R0 or even R1) so not current

2010 R3 (13.0 Rev 5204) is now available to work with your current licenses (and yes there was an R2 version as well) Note you have to upgrade to this with a full install over the top of existing, you cannot use LiveUpdate to go from original to R3 (which is why it is not listed in LiveUpdate

The  2012 version is available for an upgrade, however please familiarize yourself with 2012 before upgrading as there is a key change in console and job configuration methodology which will surprise customers familiar with older versions. New licenses will also be needed for this version.

Note  you may need to apply Hotfixes/service packs on top of the upgrades for both 2010 R3 and 2012 - these should be available via liveupdate once you have upgraded.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

Colin_Weaver

You are on the original 2010 release (sometimes incorrectly called R0 or even R1) so not current

2010 R3 (13.0 Rev 5204) is now available to work with your current licenses (and yes there was an R2 version as well) Note you have to upgrade to this with a full install over the top of existing, you cannot use LiveUpdate to go from original to R3 (which is why it is not listed in LiveUpdate

The  2012 version is available for an upgrade, however please familiarize yourself with 2012 before upgrading as there is a key change in console and job configuration methodology which will surprise customers familiar with older versions. New licenses will also be needed for this version.

Note  you may need to apply Hotfixes/service packs on top of the upgrades for both 2010 R3 and 2012 - these should be available via liveupdate once you have upgraded.

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited
Just to add to what Colin has stated...you might want to go to BE 2010 R3 for now until BE 2012 R2 is commercially released. BE 2012 was stripped of a number of features, which will be added back with the R2 release. Thanks!

manningit
Level 2

Thank you very much Colin and CraigV. I have downloaded the files and burned the DVD. I noticed in the installation procedures, it indicates I will have to put in my License Key. Can this information be retrieved from the running software because I have no idea where the paperwork with the key on it might be located. I do have a serial number that I received from Symantec in the format Mxxxxxxxxxx.
Thanks again for all your help.

lmosla
Level 6

Hello manningit,

take a look at this document:http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH159557 

1. Document the existing serial numbers (Product Activation Keys) from the existing version.
    1. http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH87335 - Where does Backup Exec store the licensing information

pkh
   VIP    Certified
You licences are stored in this file C:\ProgramData\Symantec\Backup Exec\besernum.xml You can copy this file over to your new installation

Colin_Weaver

If you do an inplace upgrade (from 2010  or 2010 R2 to 2010 R3), then it will pick up your existing licenses during the upgrade, although it is still good practice to copy the besernum.xml file as a backup (especially as you can use the import button to just pull the file straight into an install.)

As I mentioned previously going to 2012 wil need new licenses if you decide to do this.

manningit
Level 2

Thanks a million everyone. The update to R3 was successful last night. The upgrade did in fact find my license number and allow me to choose it. There were a couple of bumps that might help someone in the future. The first attempt failed so I stopped the backup exec programs running and then restarted them, also I had a tape in the DAT 160 drive that I remove. I don't know which of these may have been the problem but the second attempt to load R3 was successful until I got to the final step where all the boxes are checked and the finish button is located. When I clicked on the finish button I got a failure but when I restarted the server it came up as Symantec Backup Exec 2010 R 3. I have completed a nightly backup to the tape drive and it was successful. I have also run live update and successfully installed two updates. Everything appears to be working fine. Thanks again to everyone for all your help !!!! :)