cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Where is BE software compression handled?

spinjector
Level 2

I am running BE 10d on a Windows 2003 domain controller with multiple servers and Agent for Windows.

Backups are performed to a B2D folder on a dedicated NAS box.

IF software compression is enabled in the job properties, where is the compression performed?

- by the Windows Agent on the server that's being backed up?

- or -

- by the BE console software on the domain controller?

Thanks.

6 REPLIES 6

Sush---
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

In the Backup job properties if you have selected the option of Software compression then the compression is performed by the Remote agent on the remote machine and not the Media server (Domain controller in your case)

Also if you have selected Hardware compression and selected the Tape drive for backups then the compression is performed by the Tape hardware while writing the data to the tape.

Thanks,

-Sush...

Simon_B_
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Sush is right, the compression will always take place on the media server (software) or on the drive (hardware). If you are looking to minimize the traffic generated between the servers that are backed up and the media server (maybe due to a WAN connection in between) you should have a look at the deduplication option introduced with BE2010. This offers client side deduplication which basically only sends data to the media server, which is not already present in the backup storage (based on block level deduplication).

spinjector
Level 2

Ok thanks that is good news. We are moving from tape to B2D and I was concerned about traffic. I've created two dedicated NAS boxes with 12 TB each of cheap SATA drives. One is onsite and one is offsite, and linked through a T1. (I know this is slow but today's standards, but there's a reason.)

I don't think we are ready to relicense a new version of BE and the Agents yet; that would cost twice as much as it cost me to build the two NAS boxes. The 10d is fine for now, although I do like the sound of this anti-duplication feature you are talking about. That would be oustanding for backing up desktops & laptops - why bother having 50 copies of Explorer.exe in storage when you only need one?

Thanks.

Sush---
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Let me just inform here that DeDuplication feature is not for Desktop and Laptop Option (DLO) yet. It is just for backups through Backup Exec.

Thanks,

-Sush...

Hywel_Mallett
Level 6
Certified

I don't know whether it's a mistake in your terminology, but software compression does not take place on the Backup Exec media server. It takes place at the remote agent, on the machine that is being backed up.

Simon_B_
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Thanks for the clarification hywel.. i've mixed something up in my original post. Unfortunately I cannot edit it any more.