cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why can't I attach to a client

Michael_Emerald
Level 3
I have several client XPs in a peer-to-peer small network. Win 2000 server. I try to attach using the user's credentials (security is non-existent in this small firm) and it tells me "BE could not attach. You may be already logged in with a different user name and password." I tried rebooting to no avail. And yet, I'm able to attach to other XPs with the same methodology. Simple file sharing is unchecked on the problem computer. What is the problem here and how do I resolve it? This isn't the first time, either. I've seen it in other XPs, inermittantly I believe.
2 REPLIES 2

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
If you are trying to connect with a local account try specifying in the format

machinename\user-id

Or if you have mapped a printer or network share already, that can cause problems also

Michael_Emerald
Level 3
Hi Ken:
Still not working. I'm trying to connect within the workgroup of a peer-to-peer network. Here's the info:
Client Machine Name: MMartin
Username: "Michelle Martin"
PW:

Taking your suggestion, I try attaching with
"Mmartin\Michelle Martin"

and nothing happens. I get the same message. Again, if I type in "Michelle Martin" with no password, nothing happens. From the server I can connect to her machine with no problem. What's the next step. This is a brand-spanking-new client XP, and I'm pretty sure we connected to it before, when the XP was installed.