cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot Uninstall Remote Agent from Client

Jim_Giacolone
Level 3
Hi,
I am new to this forum. I am running backup Exec v9.1 Small Business Server Premium Edition on a Small Business Server for Windows 2003. All of my clients are Windows XP Pro SP2.
As suggested by Veritas, I am uninstalling all current versions of Remote Agent from each workstation (will re-install new v10).
I have one client that I cannot uninstall. I receive this error message: " The installation source for this application is not available. Verify that the source exists and that you can access it".
The v10 Admin Guide says I don't need to uninstall it, but Veritas Tech says it is necessary.
Any ideas?
7 REPLIES 7

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
Have you tried re-installing the v9.1 agent, then uninstalling?

Jim_Giacolone
Level 3
Yes, I did try that without success. I am logged on as admin, and I checked the security settings for the folder. I just cannot seem get rid of it.

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
As a lst resort, I guess you could go Registry Diving, and then delete the folder containing the RA, then boot and re-install

See http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/232443.htm

Not what you want to hear, I know, but about all that is left at this point

Jim_Giacolone
Level 3
Thank you. Yes, I agree this is my last option.

This document requests that I "Remove the Backup Exec Remote Agent serial number via Additional Options from the backup Exec server".

As I do not have any serial numbers fro Remote Agent, I am going to proceed without this step.

I did copy the BESERNUM.XML doc as suggested, but I do not know the purpose of this.

I will post the results.

Thanks again.

Jim_Giacolone
Level 3
Per the previously mentioned doc, I deleted the reg keys as instructed, but I cannot delete the RANT folder from the local machine even when I am logged on as admin!

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
Have you re-booted since deleteing the keys, or at the very minimum, stopped the Remote Agent Service?

Jim_Giacolone
Level 3
Thank you. I was so involved with what was not working I forgot the obvious. Rebooting solved that problem, but the Remote Agent remained in the Add/Remove Programs.

Per the above mentioned doc ID232442, there is a reference to an HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT key that does not exist in Win XP PRO SP2.

I discovered that the applicable key for XP is 22EE89ESB95F0DE428EB10A0F688C6E3 in the same location.

Deletion of this key removes the entry from Add/Remove Programs.

Thanks for all of your help. It is greatly appreciated.