cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why do I need to erase blank media before it is recognized in "all Media" ?

Jeff_Crofton
Level 2
When I insert blank media into my robotic library (dell 122T VS80) The media will not show up under the "all media" tab until I perform an erase operation on it. I can inventory the media and it still won't show up, it just shows as blank media under the slots in device view, but will not show up as media under the media tab until I erase it. Seems rather redundant. Is there a way around this?
2 REPLIES 2

ray_littlefie1
Level 6
Media doesn't 'exist' within BackupExec until BE places a header file on it with the on-tape media label. This only occurs when the tape is erased, or when the tape is selected to be used for a backup. In tape libraries, BE will automatically assign the barcode value and perform a label operation when a inventory is performed. This is not done in a stand-alone drive without a barcode system, because BE wants to give you the option of your own unique on-tape label or if BE should generate one.

So, an inventory should be the minimum sufficent user action in your environment. BE will automatically assign your blank media a label upon the first backup job and it will then show up in the Media Tab.

Deepali_Badave
Level 6
Employee
Hello,

Please update us on this issue.

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.