cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why does backup administrator have to have their name visible in the Global Address List

Alan_Terrill
Level 3
 Since installing Exchange and its associated Backup Exec client, I've spent weeks trying to get it to backup Exchange mailboxes. Everytime it would refuse with an access denied message. Well after three visits from the experts of the firm who installed it for me, it turns out that the problem is down to the backup administrators account being ticked as 'Hide from exchange address lists'.  Now what is the logic behind this? The 'bexec' account, like the 'administrator' account, are aliases, not real people, so  why would they need to be visible in the address book.?  I certainly don't want anyone sending me mail  on these addresses as I'd never read them, so why is it so important to the system that they are visible to all users, and why doesn't the 'access denied' message say something more useful like 'you must make the adminsitrator account visible in the address book before you can backup or restore any excahneg file' which would have saved us an awful lot of time?
1 REPLY 1

SteveVRTS
Level 6
Employee
Long story short.....
The account that you are using to do the backups of the mailboxes and public folders uses MAPI to authinticate.  Backup Exec has to see the mailbox in the GAL to authinticate with it.  The are quite a few technotes right here on the knowledge base that state that the mailbox must not be hidden from the GAL.