cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why does it have to be so hard to get an answer to an easy question

David_Culiton
Level 2
We do a daily backup to disk. We migrate a specific day of the week to tape. I am trying to restore a file out of the tape backup.
A) I restore the backup file from tape back to disk.

All catalogs point to a newer version of the file. How do I catalog and then restore a file off of this backup file.

I tried to open a case with symantec on this via theire directassist web interface. Because I do not allow access to the machine, the control could not contact it & hence I could not open a case...
2 REPLIES 2

ray_littlefie1
Level 6
If I understand correctly- Once a week you backup to tape the B2D location containing the *.bkf files- now you want to restore a set of *.bkf files, and restore data from them. Is that correct?

1.)On you B2D location create a folder called restore.

2.) Redirect your tape restore to this folder

3.) Create a new B2D location within backup exec pointing to the \restore folder you just restored to.

4.) Inventory and catalog the restored data. Perform the data restore through the normal restore GUI.

In the future, you would be better to create a policy that would duplicate a B2D job to tape rather than backing up the B2D location. This way you could restore data directly from tape.

If I completly misunderstood your post- please forgive me and try explainig again :)

David_Culiton
Level 2
Thanks...

Was not aware of the policy feature...