cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why can't Veritas do well in products like CDP?

agang
Level 3
Partner Accredited

Why can't Veritas do well in products like CDP? Is there any employee inside Veritas who can answer this question?

3 REPLIES 3

benspickard
Community Manager
Community Manager
Employee

Hi @agang, at Veritas, we are dedicated to providing high-quality products and services, including our CDP solutions. We acknowledge the dynamic technology landscape and continuously work to enhance all our products. Can you include more info about the specific concerns you are having? We are happy to help and welcome all feedback as it helps us improve our products and solutions.

agang
Level 3
Partner Accredited

Recently, I have tested Veritas NetBackup  CDP and veeam BR V11, EMC Recoverpoint  for VM, Both of them provide CDP protection features for VMware. However, I found that NetBackup CDP deployment is complex, but the function is relatively simple., NetBackup CDP only can provide RPO = 30 minutes;

On the contrary, the CDP function of veeam BR V11  and  EMC RP  for VM is very easy to deploy. The function looks more practical. It can provide an RPO recovery point of at least 2 seconds, and it is very convenient to drag the scroll bar with the mouse to select the specified recovery time point.

Hopefully, NetBackup will provide similar functionality in the future

The purpose in CDP based backup is to prevent stunning VMs that is the case in regular VMware snapshot based protection approach and ability to have more frequent full backups quickly.

The given products on your post are using the same method, based on I/O filter driver, but their purpose it to replicate VMs (recovery points) for operational recovery.

I would check VRP (Veritas Resiliency Platform), which has been part of NetBackup licensing for awhile, providing CDP based replication for vSphere VMs at minute level intervals. It leverages the same I/O filter driver that NetBackup uses and it has enhanced orchestration capabilities. You're entitled to use it provided you have the capacity based licensing. Also supports on-prem to public cloud (Azure, AWS, GCP) replication/migration via in-guest agent.