cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will not backup Exchange or XP

Ryan_Jacksland
Level 4
I am having two reocurring problems with my mail server and with a users workstation.

The mail server has this error all the time:
Final error: 0xe000848c - Unable to attach to a resource. Make sure that all selected resources exist and are online, and then try again.
Final error category: Resource Errors

The XP SP2 workstation has this error all the time:
Completed status: Failed
Final error: 0xe000846b - The resource could not be backed up because an error occurred while connecting to the Backup Exec for Windows Servers Remote Agent.
Make sure that the Remote Agent is installed on the target computer and is running.

I have unistalled the backup agent and reinstalled, as well as rebooted.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks in advance
15 REPLIES 15

shweta_rege
Level 6
Hello,

Ensure that the Remote Agent for Windows Server service is started and running on the Windows XP system.

Add the host name and IP address of the Windows XP system in hosts file of the Media server.

Ensure that port 10000 is listening on the remote box. Check if all the Backup Exec services are running. Re-create the job

Thank You,

Shweta

Ryan_Jacksland
Level 4
That solves the XP issue.

Now the Exchange issue is this, I can access everything on the server including the System State and Information Store, but what I cannot access is the Mailboxes and Public Folders.

Any ideas?

Thanks

tejashree_Bhate
Level 6
Hello,

Are you getting any errors in the job log or while selecting the mailboxes and public folders?

Kindly refer to the following to check if its properly configured
What is the Exchange ver you are using

title) How to configure a Microsoft Exchange 5.5 and 2000 individual mailbox backup for Backup Exec 8.x, 9.x or 10.x software
http://support.veritas.com/docs/249456

Thanks

Ryan_Jacksland
Level 4
Backup- \\MailServer\Microsoft Information Store\First Storage Group

Unable to attach to \\MailServer\Microsoft Exchange Public Folders.
V-79-57344-33932 - Unable to attach to a resource. Make sure that all selected resources exist and are online, and then try again.

Unable to attach to \\MailServer\Microsoft Exchange Mailboxes.
V-79-57344-33932 - Unable to attach to a resource. Make sure that all selected resources exist and are online, and then try again.

Those are the errors. I check the link you sent, and everything is set fine. This account and backup has been running fine for 2 years and then now it is not working. Nothing has changed with the account or AD.

I am using Exchange 2003.

There are three options in Veritas when backing up Exchange:

Microsoft Exchange Mailboxes
Microsoft Exchange Public Folders
Microsoft Information Store

My backup has all three checked to backup.

Now when I click on Mailboxes or Public Folders I continually get prompted with the logon box, that the admin account is denied. But the same account works fine for the Information Store.

I can back up just the Information Store and the job will complete successfully. But I cant look at the Mailboxes or the Public Folders.

Hope you can help.

Thanks

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
if you logon to the media server as the BackupExec Service Account, are you able to open Outlook and see the Public Folders and attach to other Mailboxes?

Ryan_Jacksland
Level 4
By logging onto the server with the same account I have no problems accessing anything in Outlook.

I go right into Backup Exec and I cannot access the mailboxes or the public folders.

Thanks

Ryan_Jacksland
Level 4
Now this morning I came in and find that one of my users XP SP2 stations wont accept the admin login from the BackupExec Server.

There is a problem somewhere from the BackupExec to the Remote Agent.

I have reinstalled the Remote Agents and it doesnt do anything. These backups have worked daily for years, now they are slowly crapping out one by one.

Any help would be great.

Thanks in advance.

Swati_Joshi
Level 6
Accredited
Hi,

Could you please elaborate on the exact error that you are getting?

Regards,

Ryan_Jacksland
Level 4
I am not sure how much more detail I can give you thats not already in this thread but I will go over it again.

I have an Exchange 2003 mail server on Windows Server 2003 std being backed up by Veritas 10.0.

I am able to back up everything on that server except for the Microsoft Exchange Mailboxes and Microsoft Exchange Public Folders.

When I go to Backup and browse to them I keep getting a pop up that asks me for a username and password that works. But I have been using the same one for years and now all of a sudden it doesnt work.

What is strange is I am able to back up everything else including the Microsoft Information Store which contains the Mailboxes and Public Folders.

I will paste the error I get below when trying to back up the Microsot Exchange Mailboxes and Microsoft Public Folders.

Job ended: Wednesday, September 27, 2006 at 8:28:49 AM
Completed status: Failed
Final error: 0xe000848c - Unable to attach to a resource. Make sure that all selected resources exist and are online, and then try again.

For additional information regarding this error refer to link V-79-57344-33932

Backup- \\servername\Microsoft Information Store\First Storage Group Unable to attach to \\servername\Microsoft Exchange Public Folders.

Unable to attach to \\servername\Microsoft Exchange Mailboxes.

That is what the error log says, but I think thats just the result of not being able to browse to the information through the backup exec.

Thanks

Ryan_Jacksland
Level 4
I am still having problems, any help would be great.

Thanks

Asma_Tamboli
Level 6
Hello Ryan,

Please check out the following document:

http://support.veritas.com/docs/262135

Hope it helps!

regards,

Asma

Ryan_Jacksland
Level 4
Unfortunately it did not help. I am still getting the same failure.

Ryan_Jacksland
Level 4
Anyone else?

Thanks

Ryan_Jacksland
Level 4
I need to be able to back up my mail server, can anyone help me please.

Thanks in advance.

Ryan_Jacksland
Level 4
Still not backing up mail. Anyone have any ideas.

Thanks