cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows 2003 back-up failing

Jim_Dearner
Level 3
Since migrating from a Windows 2000 to a Winodws 2003 R2 server, I am getting the following errors in the log:

Click an error below to locate it in the job log
Backup - Unable to attach to \\XXX\prnproc$.
Unable to attach to \\XXX\prnproc$.
Unable to attach to \\XXX\.
Unable to attach to \\XXX\.

The rest of the job log is normal.

Any help will be appreciated.

Jim Dearner, Technical Analyst
11 REPLIES 11

Gilly-Bhoy
Level 6
Partner
Jim,

Could be Windows firewall.
Can you give more information? Is the 2003 server the remote server?

Gilly

Jim_Dearner
Level 3
The Windows firewall on the 2003 server that is being backed up is off. The 2003 server is remote to the back-up server and has the back-up exec remote agent installed on it.

All of the other files and directories back-up ok, except for the two I have listed here.

I back-up another remote server that is running Windows 2000 and there are no problems with it.

Thanks,

Jim

Keith_Langmead
Level 6
What OS is your media server running? Is it 2000 or 2003? If it's running 2000 then I believe it won't be able to backup the system state type information on the 2003 remote server unless you also upgrade it to 2003.

Gilly-Bhoy
Level 6
Partner
"What OS is your media server running? Is it 2000 or 2003? If it's running 2000 then I believe it won't be able to backup the system state type information on the 2003 remote server unless you also upgrade it to 2003"

Surely not! :o

Jim_Dearner
Level 3
The media server is running 2003. I think I found the answer in the Symantec's database: http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/258679.htm. It has something to do with Restrict Anonymous Support.

In my situation, the system state does appear, but not the utility partition. I suspect the two files that are not being backed-up are in the Utility partition. If anyone knows whether this is the correct solution, please let me know.

I'm going to try the registry change this weekend.

Thanks,

Jim

Joshua_Small
Level 6
Partner
Is "prnproc$" a share on the remote server?
Generally, you shouldn't need to select shares to backup.

Do you have the remote agent installed on the remote server? Check it is running in the services applet.

If so, you should be able to simply select the folder being backed up, for example, if the folder exists on D: and is being shared, under the remote server selections, you may have

D:\Prnproc

If that makes any sense.

You also generally don't want the utility partition backed up. It's not something I'd ever look to restoring.

PS Yes, also make the Restrict Anonymous change.Message was edited by:
Joshua Small

Amruta_Bhide
Level 6
Hello ,

Could you Update us on the issue?

Thanks
Regards

Jim_Dearner
Level 3
Is "prnproc$" a share on the remote server?
Generally, you shouldn't need to select shares to backup.

(Yes it is on a remote server)

Do you have the remote agent installed on the remote server? Check it is running in the services applet.

(Yes the remote agent is installed and running)

If so, you should be able to simply select the folder being backed up, for example, if the folder exists on D: and is being shared, under the remote server selections, you may have

D:\Prnproc

(I cannot find this share on the server. The log says it is on C:\ which is the remote server I am backing up, but this share does not appear there.)

If that makes any sense.

You also generally don't want the utility partition backed up. It's not something I'd
ever look to restoring

(The Utility share does not even appear as a option to back-up in Back-up Exec.)

Jim_Dearner
Level 3
I was not able to come in last weekend and make the suggested registry change. I will try this weekend.

I am concerned because I can not find any reference to this share name (prnproc$) in the MS knowledge base and I cannot see it on the server itself. It is not a share that I created so I assumed it was something created by the OS.

I will post again when I know more.

Thanks for everyone's help.

Jim

Joshua_Small
Level 6
Partner
Hi Jim,

Nothing to be concerned about. This isn't a Windows standard share, it's probably something you used to have, and no longer do.
Now we know you don't actually have such a share..

Open your selection lists. Select 'text view'.
Remove the selection for the share creating the issue.

Problem solved.

Jim_Dearner
Level 3
Thanks again to all.

The problem is solved. As far as I can determine it was a rights problem. The server I was backing up was a new one that was put in production a couple of weeks ago. I used a utility from Microsoft to move the printer queues and perhaps it created this share.

After going in BE yesterday morning and re-setting the credentials for the resources, the back-up completed normally.

Thanks again,

Jim