cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows Remote Agent benefits

Level 3
I have noticed that Remote Agents often speed up backups.
How does this work?

I am interested in this because I am trying to figure out if it is worth using agents when I am only backing up a single large file from 30 different computers.
7 REPLIES 7

Ajit_Kulkarni
Level 6
Hello,

Remote Agent enables to establish the connection between Backup Exec server and the remote server. To be able to backup or restore any remote machine Remote Agent is required.

So to backup any machine, it is always advisable to have Remote Agent installed on it.

Regarding backing up a single larger file from 30 different computers, please elaborate in details.

Level 3
I backup and restore files from plenty of computers that don't have remote agents.

So my question remains - what does the remote agent offer for my situation?

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
What the tech didn't say was, if you connect to a Windows ServerOS machine without the agent you are in violation of the Veritas Licensing policy.
That being said, without an agent, the read of the file across the network includes all kinds of latency, while with the remote agent, all reads/file access is local, and the data that is read is streamed back to the Media Server as fast as the network and both servers will allow.

You don't need to purchase a license, but an standard agent will speed throughput for Workstation OS machines. DLO IS a purchased option

Also - You can get user data (what you are doing without an agent ), but will never get system state info. As such, you will not be able to do a Disaster Recovery type restore, only a data restore.

Level 3
Good so far but can we get more specific?

Does the latency come from reading the file or requests related to multiple files?

I am asking this because I have seen throughput rates of 1300 when backing up a single large file without using an agent.

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
The latency for a standard backup is the opening, reading, and closing of each file. For a single large file, once the file is opened and reading starts, the network is the limiting factor

A single large file is effectivly what the Agent sends back to the media server.

priya_khire
Level 6
Hello,

As mentioned to you on the previous posts, the Remote agent is essential in order to backup/restore remote servers. It also increases the backup throuhput on Windows systems and provides faster backup processing. In order to know more as to how it works and how it will help you in your environment, refer to the following chapter in the administrator's manual: Veritas Backup Exec Remote Agent on page 843. You can download the manual at the following link:

Title:VERITAS Backup Exec (tm) 9.1 for Windows Servers Administrator's Guide (English)
http://support.veritas.com/docs/266190

Hope this answers your query. In case you have further doubts on this question, you can write back to the post. However If we do not receive your intimation within two business days, this post would be assumed answered and archived.

Regards.

Sheetal_Risbood
Level 6
As per our previous reply, marking the case as assumed answered and moving it to answered questions pool.