cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows Server 2003 Recovery

csujoe
Level 3
I have a server running Windows Server 2003 that had a catastrophic drive failure.  There are two servers (both with server 2003) with the main server running Active Directory, Backup Exec 10.5 and we had the Remote Agent loaded on the second server for backup (the one that failed).  The second server was not on the domain and is not running Active Directory (required for the software it ran).  I have a valid backup of both servers on the same tape including the System State for both servers but having problems restoring the second server.  

I have installed new hard drives and reinstalled Windows Server 2003 on the failed server and also loaded Backup Exec 10.5 (not the Remote Agent) on this system along with a matching tape drive.  When I follow the instructions to restore including Inventory, Catalog and selecting the files and System State for Server2, I receive an error message that the Remote Agent is not installed.  I have even attempted a redirection on the restore but still receive a failure.

Currently the two servers are not in the same building so trying to restore it on site is impracticable. 

Help!
12 REPLIES 12

Dev_T
Level 6

As I understand:

1  : Backup Exec 10.x was installed on the Domain Controller which crashed. Is it correct?

pkh
   VIP    Certified

After you installed BE on the repaired server, did you enter a licence key for BE Server?

sksujeet
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
First thing is that you can't redirec the system state restore.
Also it seems you have the BE installed on the server that crashed and now trying to restore the system state for it.Make sure you are selecting the correct server from the selection list and also the server name is same as it was before crash.

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited
The Remote Agent is necessary for backups/restores to work. This is applicable to the media server too.
If you didn't install the Remote Agent, look into installing it, and then try to run your restore again...

csujoe
Level 3
Yes.

csujoe
Level 3
Yes, the server has the same name, same file structure and version of Windows Server 2003.

csujoe
Level 3

The Domain Controller is not the computer that crashed.  However the Domain Controller did have BE 10.5 loaded.

Again, this particular server was not part of the Domain but did have BE 10.5 Remote Agent loaded.

csujoe
Level 3
I cannot load the Remote Agent because I have the full version of BE 10.5 now loaded onto this server.

I did consider loading another server, installing BE, the tape drive etc and then loading the Remote Agent on this server and try to run restore that way but it seemed like a lot of extra work.  Is that what I am going to have to do?

CraigV
It would be installed and running anyway...can you post your specific error please?

pkh
   VIP    Certified
When the last good backup of this server that is repaired, was the IDR option enabled on the media and a .dr file created?  If yes, then you can create an IDR ISO image which you can boot up on the repaired server and restore it.  You don't have to install anything on the server before booting up from the IDR ISO image.

csujoe
Level 3
Not familiar with the IDR option, so I would imagine it is not set.  However, I do have a full backup on tape including the System State.

CraigV
Any news here...?