cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

backing up a Hyper-V VM running on Storage Space Direct

mk128935
Level 5
Employee

Customer is asking if a Hyper-V VM running on Storage Space Direct (S2D) can be backed up just like a physical machine by installing the Windows agent inside the VM. Is this possible? (I believe yes, though we probably haven't tested this internally so support will probably be limited to best-effort support)

According to the customer, NBU support backup through the WMI method but not sure if BE supports this method.

Note: The WMI backup method adds support for the following:

a. VMs hosted on SMB 3.0 file shares on Windows Server 2016.

b. VMs hosted on Windows Storage Spaces and Storage Spaces

Direct on Windows Server 2016.

I appreciate the feedback again.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Ben-Veritas
Level 4
Employee

Yes, you can install a remote agent on the VM's and back them up as physical machines.  This is fully supported.

BE doesn't have support for the WMI method at the moment.  It has been brought up with the product managers to see if it can be added though, I have no timeline on this right now.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

Ben-Veritas
Level 4
Employee

Yes, you can install a remote agent on the VM's and back them up as physical machines.  This is fully supported.

BE doesn't have support for the WMI method at the moment.  It has been brought up with the product managers to see if it can be added though, I have no timeline on this right now.