cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

backup exec 2010 (and r2) skip outlook ost file on windows 7

cadrus
Level 3
I can't find any document explain why backup exec skips outlook ost file in C:\Users\someone\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Outlook.
TIA if someone can point me to a right direction.

6 REPLIES 6

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited
Hi there,

It automatically excludes those files, probably due to Active File Exclusion. BE does the same thing if you select your Exchange installation directory for instance, where it ignore *.edb and *.stm.
You can confirm that below:

http://prtl.uhcl.edu/portal/page/portal/UCT/New_UCT/downloads/BackUpManual.pdf

To get it to back up the *.ost files, you can try playing around with a wildcard inclusion, but I doubt it will work.

Thanks!

cadrus
Level 3
I don't use DLO. I install Remote Agent for Windows on the Desktop. If I select the OST file instead just C: BE throws a warning.
"Completed with exceptions

File \\some_machine\C:\Users\someone\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Outlook\outlook.ost is in the backup selection list but was not found."
The strange thing is there is another windows 7 with the same setup does not have this problem.

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
File \\some_machine\C:\Users\someone\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Outlook\outlook.ost is in the backup selection list but was not found."
The strange thing is there is another windows 7 with the same setup does not have this problem.

In that case, it sounds like a rights/permissions problem

cadrus
Level 3
I create a new account user2 on the same computer and try to backup the OST file. BE skips the file. check permission in windows explorer does not show any right/permission different. but use CACLS shows a little bit different but I don't understand why it skips the OST file for user2

Z:\>cacls users1
Z:\users1 NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM:(OI)(CI)F
          BUILTIN\Administrators:(OI)(CI)F
          CCS\users1:(OI)(CI)F

Z:\>cacls users1\AppData
Z:\users1\AppData NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM:(OI)(CI)(ID)F
                  BUILTIN\Administrators:(OI)(CI)(ID)F
                  CCS\users1:(OI)(CI)(ID)F

Z:\>cacls "users1\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Outlook\outlook.ost"
Z:\users1\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Outlook\outlook.ost NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM:(ID)F
                                                      BUILTIN\Administrators:(ID)F
                                                      CCS\users1:(ID)F

Z:\>cacls users2
Z:\users2 NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM:(OI)(CI)F
         CCS\users2:(OI)(CI)F

Z:\>cacls users2\AppData
Z:\users2\AppData NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM:(OI)(CI)F
                 CCS\users2:(OI)(CI)F

Z:\>cacls users2\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Outlook\outlook.ost
Z:\users2\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Outlook\outlook.ost NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM:F
                                                     BUILTIN\Administrators:F
                                                     CCS\users2:F

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited
...in use? Active File Exclusion is probably ensuring you cannot back it up...
Quick question though: Why would you want to backup an *.ost file when it is so easily recreated?

cadrus
Level 3
"...in use? Active File Exclusion is probably ensuring you cannot back it up..."

no. I created a couple fake ost files in that folder and BE skips them. BE doesn't skip ost in windows XP even when the user logged in and has outlook opened.

"Quick question though: Why would you want to backup an *.ost file when it is so easily recreated?"

At one time (before my time)  we lost the Exchange server we almost lost everything. Now we backup both exchange server and workstations. OST is just one problem. I don't know what else BE might has skipped. I just want to be a able to recover from a total lost.

Thanks