cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Difficult Problem: Unable to attach to a resource Exchange 2007 GRT & Backup Exec 12.5

Gary_Blackwell
Level 3
Partner

I would like to restore an individual message to the Exchange 2007 server using Backup Exec 12.5; however; I am getting an Unable to attach to a resource error.  I've tried several of the tech notes listed on the Symantec site as well as general suggestions on the Internet like matching versions of the Exchange Console and re-installing the remote agent.  I've gone through the troubleshooting steps such as recreating the user account and making sure it is unique, has it's own mailbox and sent a test message.  The last thing I tried is renaming mapistub.dll to mapistub.old in both the c:\windows\system32 and c:\windows\syswow64 folders.
Backup Exec 12.5 runs on Microsoft Storage server and Exchange runs on Windows 2003 R2.  Both servers are 64 bit. 
The logs are cryptic about what resource is missing.  Does anyone know how to "reset" the resources Backup Exec tries to attach?  The logs show the resources as FQDN.exchangeserver.domain <--> NETBIOS name of the storage server, but then a failure occurs.  It appears that it can find the resources but which one is the problem is the real question.  I can't help but wonder if there is a hidden permission for the backup exec account to do the restore, perhaps something with impersonation on the Exchange server?  I am using the same account that successfully backs up the mailboxes to attempt the restore.  The account passes the "tests". 
I do not have a text view in the restore selection list.
Thanks
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Gary_Blackwell
Level 3
Partner

I am finally able to restore individual email messages using Backup Exec 12.5.  I am not sure which one corrected the problem, but it started working after I took the following steps.

1.  Used Backup Exec live update to install the latest updates - Version: 12.5.2213.  Here is a list of service packs and hot fixes.  I don't know the last one it installed that helped, but running live update should get them all.  If not, I think I installed one or two manually.

Service Pack 3
Service Pack 4
2. Deployed the remote agent to the Exchange server. 
3.  Make sure the version of Exchange 2007 Management is the same on the Exchange Server and the server you're using for back ups.  I used add/remove (appwiz.cpl) to check the version by clicking the support information link on the Exchange 2007 entry in add/remove programs.
4. Make sure Messaging API and Collaboration Data Objects versions match the same way.  Even though the entry in Add/Remove says 1.2.1, if you click the link for support information you should see the true version.  I removed the MAPI CDO, restarted the server and then installed the latest versions on the source server and the backup server.  Installing over the top of what is there only keeps the same version.

I hope this helps someone having difficulty with Symantec Backup Exec GRT in version 12.5.  It would be nice if Backup Exec detected Exchange 2007 and asked if you needed MAPI CDO and installed it accordingly.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

sksujeet
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
Make sure the account that you have 5 rights

should be unique(first five character should be unique), domain admin, exchange organization administrator, unhidden from GAL

Also make sure you have a system logon account in network - logon account and make sure you are using the right credentials for the same. If you had a incorrect credentials for the system logon account  it will not work.

Gary_Blackwell
Level 3
Partner
I have already checked all of these, but I will check again.

1. The account is unique.  I used Outlook and typed in the first five letters of the account and pressed Ctrl+K to check.  No other account appeared in the list.
2.  The account is listed in the GAL and not hidden.
3.  The accout is a member of Domain Admins.
4.  The account is an Exchange Organization Administrator.

Please describe the process for viewing and resetting the password for the system logon account you are talking about. 
The account I am using to run the backup exec services is the same account as the System Logon Account in Backup Exec, which is the accout I am using for the Exchange backup job.  It is also the accout I am using to test restoring an email message.

The backup job is to a folder on the storage server hard drive.  There is a another backup job that copies the data to tape.

I used process monitor to check for the server names the restore is attempting to contact and it is different from the debug monitor in Backup Exec.  Process Monitor shows the bengine.exe using the SSDP protocol to contact FQDN.EXCHANGE.COM from FQDN.STORAGESERVER.COM on port 10000 during the attempt to restore one email message.

Gary_Blackwell
Level 3
Partner

I am finally able to restore individual email messages using Backup Exec 12.5.  I am not sure which one corrected the problem, but it started working after I took the following steps.

1.  Used Backup Exec live update to install the latest updates - Version: 12.5.2213.  Here is a list of service packs and hot fixes.  I don't know the last one it installed that helped, but running live update should get them all.  If not, I think I installed one or two manually.

Service Pack 3
Service Pack 4
2. Deployed the remote agent to the Exchange server. 
3.  Make sure the version of Exchange 2007 Management is the same on the Exchange Server and the server you're using for back ups.  I used add/remove (appwiz.cpl) to check the version by clicking the support information link on the Exchange 2007 entry in add/remove programs.
4. Make sure Messaging API and Collaboration Data Objects versions match the same way.  Even though the entry in Add/Remove says 1.2.1, if you click the link for support information you should see the true version.  I removed the MAPI CDO, restarted the server and then installed the latest versions on the source server and the backup server.  Installing over the top of what is there only keeps the same version.

I hope this helps someone having difficulty with Symantec Backup Exec GRT in version 12.5.  It would be nice if Backup Exec detected Exchange 2007 and asked if you needed MAPI CDO and installed it accordingly.