cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

backup exec agent 12

mii
Not applicable

hello

i'm about to buy some agents for desktops & servers at my company. i have "symantec Backup exec 12 for windows servers" version. Some Symantec's partners offer us Agents for Backup exec 12.5, and told me they can't sell the previous version (12) because it's not supported anymore, but that i can buy the agents for backup exec 12.5 version and istall it as previous version. so i would like to know if this is possible? and if it's really going to function properly? My manager prefer not to upgrade the currect version of backup exec we have.

thanks in advance

mii

2 REPLIES 2

AshutoshTamhank
Level 4
Employee Accredited

Firstly an agent is nothing but a license key which enables a functionality in a  licensed product. Its only a flag set on the media server to enable the requested functionality. The only component which is installed on a remote server is the remote agent. except in the case of an SAP agent.

So the answer to your question is  - The correct way to go about is by upgrading to the version wanted of whose agents are to be deployed.

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

I've never tried it, but I've seen several cases here on the boards where people have said that they have purchased current serials that work in back level environments

Or as Toshi says, you could upgrade your install to v12.5 (a free upgrade AFAIK) and use the v12.5 serials (the latter is what I would do)