Patty_McGowan
Level 6
Employee
Greg,
What is the error you are getting?
Patty

Supreme_Greg
Level 3
so I accidentally hit the enter button and it posted the message...before I was done...
Anyway, I have a backup that is a full backup in Backup Exec 11d that is running on a Windows 2003 SBS R2 server with 4 GB's of RAM. the machine is otherwise perfectly stable, the installation of backup exec was recently upgraded from evaluation to fully licensed mode, which caused me to have to completely rebuild the backup jobs (Something that really irked me) I ran a full backup of the entire machine which completed just fine once, but has been failing every since with the following error...Backups from ntBackup run just fine.

Job ended: Tuesday, April 17, 2007 at 1:00:01 PM
Completed status: Failed
Final error: 0xe0008488 - Access is denied.
Final error category: Security Errors
For additional information regarding this error refer to link V-79-57344-33928

Backup- \\SERVER\Microsoft Information Store\First Storage Group
Unable to complete the operation for the selected resource using the specified options.  The following error was returned when opening the Exchange Database file:  '-4005 Read/write access is not supported on compressed files. '

Any help would be greatly appreciated
Sincerely,
Greg

Patty_McGowan
Level 6
Employee
Greg,

Do you have OS compression enabled in disk manager on the drive that holds the IS?

Are you backing up to disk?  Is that drive compressed?

What version of Backup Exec are you running?  If you are running 6235 do you have all of the HotFixes installed?

Patty

Supreme_Greg
Level 3
Hi Patty,
Thanks for your reply.
To answer your questions...

1. Do you have OS compression enabled in disk manager on the drive that holds the IS? I don't believe so, compression is not enabled on the drive, how do I check for "OS Compression?"
2. Are you backing up to disk? Yes External USB 2.0 drive formatted to NTFS.
3. Is that drive compressed? No.
4. What version of Backup Exec are you running? It is backup exec 11d build 6235.
5. If you are running 6235 do you have all of the HotFixes installed? Hot fix 2, hot fix 13, hot fix 15, hot fix 16, hot fix 19, and hot fix 20 are installed. When I run live update, I do not get any notifications that there are any other available hotfixes.

Supreme_Greg
Level 3
Okay, so apparently this is a problem with the GRT. I enabled the legacy mailbox support to check permissions to the individual mailboxes, and voila.

Supreme_Greg
Level 3
I spoke too soon. I got excited becuase it actually made it past the point where it was sticking before, but it still fails with the exact same error message.

Supreme_Greg
Level 3
I forgot to uncheck the box to enable the restore of individual mailboxes. Once this is unchecked, and the support for legacy mailbox is checked, everything works just fine. Nice new broken product. Thanks, Symantec.

CCSLO
Not applicable
### FAILURE ERROR ###
Completed status: Failed
Final error: 0xe0008488 - Access is denied.
Final error category: Security Errors
For additional information regarding this error refer to link V-79-57344-33928
### END ###

Per Patty McGowan, Symantec Employee
C Drive (where data is) is not compressed.
X Drive (backup drive) is an ESATA drive and is compressed.
Both hard drives are NTFS
11.0 revision 6235 with service pack 1 and hotfix 23. When I run live update, I do not get any notifications that there are any other available hotfixes.

Supreme_Greg's solution to uncheck the box to enable the restore of individual mailboxes is simply not an option. We have hundreds of SBS servers with MSE running on them who are unable to successfully backup data after upgrading to 11d. Does Symantec plan to fix this issue at all?