Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

backup of open file at XP client

zidanski
Level 3
Partner

Hi,

i have tried to backup a text file while it was edited on XP client, i have chossen in Setting->advanced

open file backup when advanced open file option not used (never).

and when the backup started, it backed up the file with last saved time before it starts. so how could it be? should it skip the open file as i decided?

6 REPLIES 6

pkh
   VIP    Certified

It depends on what application you use to edit the text file.  Some application like Notepad does not hold the file while it is being edited, thus BE can back it up while it is being edited.  You can test this by editing a text file with Notepad and then deleting it using Windows Explorer.  You will find that you can delete the file without problems.  This shows that the file is not being held by Notepad.

Dushan_Gomez
Level 6

should it use AOFO method for backing up Windows with VSS ?

Sush---
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified
@Dushan: Yes... When Advanced Open File Option (AOFO) is used for backing Win XP, Win 2003 and above, it uses Microsoft VSS provider to take the snapshots. In older OS like Win 2000 it used Symantec snapshot provider (VSP) to take the snapshots. Thanks, -Sush...

zidanski
Level 3
Partner

thnx, but in my case i didn't use and install AOFO on the client.

how can i test the backup of files when they are opened?

zidanski
Level 3
Partner

thnx, but in my case i didn't

thnx, but in my case i didn't use and install AOFO on the client.

how can i test the backup of files when they are opened?

Sush---
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

As you are not using the AOFO you can try to use the option in the Advanced tab of Backup job properties.

Thanks,

-Sush...