cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

backup suddenly failing with Resource ErrorsError: a000848c - Unable to att

George_Zervakos
Level 3
Hello,

I'm running W2K3 with BackupExec 9.1 rev. 4691 and Exchange 2003. On this past Friday I had to reset the server because of a memory leak. Since then, I'm getting this error when the backup reaches the Exchange mailboxes:

Resource ErrorsError : a000848c - Unable to attach to one of the drives.

I've read http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/266177.htm but none of it applies. Nothing has changed on the server, I simply had to reset the server on Friday.

The last good backup I have is from Thursday evening so this is why I think the server reset had something to do with this.

Can anyone point me in a good direction to troubleshoot this?
8 REPLIES 8

Philip_Westcott
Level 3
I am having the same problem

Though the cause of the problem was installing SP3 and Hotfix 54.

I am unable to update the remote agent as it does not accept the correct username and password to connect to the remote server
installation error code 0x800401F0

Philip_Westcott
Level 3
I have updated the remote agent now.

I can backup the c: drive on the remote server but not any exchange stores.

I now get more error codes
"ffffdfc4"
and final error
"0xa0008703"

Gauri_Ketkar
Level 6
Hi,

-In order to resolve the issue,please explain your Environment in detail and paste the exact error message here
-Refer the technote given below >

"Job failed running its test run. See log file for details" (a0008703 HEX or e0008703 HEX) is reported when running a "Test Run"
http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/263679.htm

Test Run job fails with error: "Final error: 0xa0008703 - Job failed running its test run. See logfile for details" even when "Media capacity check to complete individual job" is unchecked
http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/265015.htm

Hope this will help you.Update us on the same and revert for any further Query

Thank you
Gauri

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked "assumed answered" and would be moved to "answered questions" pool.

Philip_Westcott
Level 3
I have
W2k3 with BackupExcec 9.1 SP3 with Hotfix 54
W2K3 with Exchange 2003 and remote agent

Unable to backup any exchange stores
though can backup the c drive of the remote server
Local server backs up correctly

Error message
a000848c - unable to attach to one of the drives

George_Zervakos
Level 3
Phil, I am experiencing the same symptons as you and I have a simialry setup:

W2k3 with BackupExcec 9.1 (I think I have SP2 though)
W2K3 with Exchange 2003 (I have a local agent as my BackupExec server is running Exchange 2003

I can also back up files from the C: drive, but the backup fails once it tries to back up the Exchange mailboxes and public folders.

The two articles mentioned earlier in this thread do not help since the tapes I'm using have space on them plus it makes no sense that the backup would fail consistently every time it reached the Exchange mailboxes.

George

Philip_Westcott
Level 3
update

Whilst trying to create a new backup job I get the following error message when selecting my exchange stores

"An error was encountered while attempting to browse the contents of \\(my server)\microsoft exchange public folders.
the Logon account you specified must corespond to a unique mailbox.
For example "admin" isnt uniquie if there is an administrator account."

???

George_Zervakos
Level 3
I'm getting the same thing as Phil again. I can't create a new job that points to either the mailboxes or public folders without having an access denied message.

Domain administrator account doesn't work, niether does Backup Exec service account.

George_Zervakos
Level 3
I created a new service account for Backup Exec and that did the trick.