cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

backup to disk redirect restore of mailboxes or mailbox store to standby exchange server

fantalemon
Level 2
Hello, not sure if it's possible or not.  Have read many of the discussions here and have followed CraigV's howto article about creating the backup to disk and have done so successfully.  I can restore back to the original server.
Now I am trying to redirect mailboxes to another server and then to use the admodify.net utility to modify the attribute and change the homeMTA to the standby exchange server.

Each time i try to do a exchange,redirect, it fails.   It's actually the same server as the backuptodisk image i've created.  I keep getting this error message:-
Completed status: Failed
Final error: 0xe0008488 - Access is denied.
Final error category: Security Errors
For additional information regarding this error refer to link V-79-57344-33928
Unable to restore any content for peter.pan because the Microsoft Exchange database that hosts that ...
The mailbox does exist.  Not hidden from global address list.

Using old mailbox accounts.
I select the mailboxes i want to restore from the image under view by media.
Under microsoft exchange redirection, i select restore to server: \\name of server
Under redirect to drive and path(exchange 2003) i select c:\program files\exchsrvr\mdbdata.  I've also tested specifying a mailbox and get the same error.
The mailstore is dismounted, database can be overwritten by a restore. 
The backupexec account used for backups is also a member of the enterprise admins and therefore is owner of the mailbox store.
backupexec 11.d, exchange 2003 sp2

any advice greatly appreciated.

4 REPLIES 4

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited
Hi fantalemon,

I take it you've got the RAWS agent installed on that target server, and that the service is running? Have you made sure that the BEWS service account has the correct permissions to Exchange and the local admin account on that server too?

Laters!

Hemant_Jain
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Here are the problems, i see in what you did:
When redirecting mailboxes, you need to make sure that the mailbox store is mounted. If you are selecting multiple mailboxes at a time, you dont need to specify anything in the mailbox name in the redirection tab, just specify the exchange server name.

Consult following document for more details;
http://support.veritas.com/docs/299838

Please mark it a solution, if this is useful.
Thanks

fantalemon
Level 2

Thanks for the help.  Craig, the target server is also the backup media server.  It has lots of disk space and so i installed exchange 2003 in order to test this.  The backupexec account used for backups is a domain admin account.  It also has full control of the test mailbox store and subcontainers.  I also made it a member of the enterprise admins to see if it would help being the owner of the mailbox store.  Yesterday, I deleted a mailbox in exchange tasks from the existing exchange server  and re-created it under the test-exchange server (which also happens to be the media server).  The mailstore is mounted.  I ran a restore from disk to this re-created mailbox and had exchange redirection and only specified the server name and still get access denied- same message as before.

I'm obviously overlooking something.

Hermant- i took a look at that document you advised.  How do i create mailboxes with the same display name?  Both curent exchange and test exchange are in same domain.
The option Enable legacy mailbox support- is that necessary as it's not recommended.  Have the box above checked.

Maybe i'm going about this the wrong way.  What i want to achieve is have a standby exchange server with the most important mailboxes on standby- almost ready to go incase of a hardware fault on the existing exchange server.

Craig you mentioned in previous post that after duplicating exchange to disk it's quite straightforward to install exchange in disaster recovery mode and restore mailboxes- haven't tried it yet?  Any more advice appreciated.

fantalemon
Level 2
a