cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

backup to disk to tape version 9.1

teresa_brennan
Level 3
I am hoping that someone may be able to help me out. We run version 9.1. on 2003 server. Have just got an ultrium 960 tape drive - so have managed to consolidate 2 backup servers into 1. From 5.30pm through the night we backup 5 or so different servers to tape, these backups run constantly until about 6.30am. We also run 7 different backups to disk through the night, these finish at roughly the same time. I need to find a way to create a scheduled job to append all the backup to disks to tape after all tape jobs have completed. Have been looking at the duplicate backup data jobs. The only issue with these is that i cannot find a way to just select the backup to disk folder rather than its contents (the b2d folders contents will be overwritten on a daily basis once the contents have been written to tape).
Any help would be much appreciated.
thanks in advance
teresa
5 REPLIES 5

Guest_User
Level 4
> We run version 9.1. on 2003 server.
> Have just got an ultrium 960 tape drive

I have the same config.

> I need to find a way to create a scheduled job
> to append all the backup to disks to tape after all
> tape jobs have completed.

It would seem that you could configure the tape backup job to not eject the tape at the end of the backup, then have another scheduled job begin by appending to tape.

>i cannot find a way to just select the backup to disk folder

Under Devices, right-click on the B2D that you want backup onto tape and select properties. The path to the folder will be listed on the second line. That's the folder you want to select for backup in your tape job.

teresa_brennan
Level 3
Yep, i did create just a normal job to backup the b2d's, but then could not find a way of restoring the b2d folder that was backed up, this is why i think we need to use the duplicate backup job

Guest_User
Level 4
>but then could not find a way of restoring
>the b2d folder that was backed up,

What do you mean? Did you get an error when you tried to restore the files to their original location? Try restoring to a different folder as a test.

teresa_brennan
Level 3
Have figured it out....
I increased the size of the b2d folders substantially, so that only one file is created per folder. Because the job is overwritten every night the b2d file name will not change. This allows me to schedule a duplicate backup job to run every morning to append the contents of the b2d folder to disk.
As i mentioned earlier, this should work fine providing no new b2d files are created within the folders. I wounder if version 10 makes this a little easier ?

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
Yes, with v10, using policies and templates you can have a Duplicate to Tape immediately follow a Backup to Disk job.

One thing here. You do NOT want to do a standard "Copy" job when backing up disk based BKF files. Make sure that you specify a "Duplicate" job. This way you can restore directly from tape, rather than having to restore the BKF files to disk, re-cataloging them and then restoring the user data.