cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

bengine application error

Guy_Braeckmans
Level 3
Hi,

Using BE 10 on Windows Server 2003 enterprise with SP1. Every few days the BE engine stops and the event log shows event id 4097 with the following desription :

The application, D:\Backup Exec\bengine.exe, generated an application error The error occurred on 05/25/2005 @ 01:04:23.957 The exception generated was c0000005 at address 7C8327FB (ntdll!RtlInitializeCriticalSection)

or

The application, D:\Backup Exec\bengine.exe, generated an application error The error occurred on 05/12/2005 @ 23:13:53.190 The exception generated was c0000005 at address 7C8224B2 (ntdll!ExpInterlockedPopEntrySListFault)

or

The application, D:\Backup Exec\bengine.exe, generated an application error The error occurred on 05/11/2005 @ 01:49:22.388 The exception generated was c0000005 at address 7C35042B (MSVCR71!wcscpy)

We have SP1 of BE installed and hotfix 16 and 17. This is happening on 2 machines since we installed V10 (9.1 before that). As a consequence the rest of the backup jobs are not done and we have no valid backups of that day.
56 REPLIES 56

priya_khire
Level 6
Hello,

How often does this problem occur? What is the MDAC version you use? Try reinstalling MDAC from:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=6c050fe3-c795-4b7d-b037-185d0506396c&DisplayLang=en

If it doesn't help; try setting the job engine to automatically restart if it fails (in the Windows services console). Additionally you can also configure error handling rules as per the following technote:

http://support.veritas.com/docs/258646

Hope this helps. In case the error persists, do revert. However if we do not hear from you within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to "answered questions" pool.

Regards.

Guy_Braeckmans
Level 3
Problem happens every 3 or 4 days.
The MDAC version is the one that came with 2003 SP1 and is version 2.82.1830.0.

Madhuri_Shenoy
Level 6
Hi Guy,

What drivers are you using? In case you are using OEM drivers, we would suggest using Veritas drivers.

Are you getting dr.watson at the same time when you see this event log entry?

Thanks!

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked ‘assumed answered’ and would be moved to ‘answered questions’ pool.

Guy_Braeckmans
Level 3
We are using the Veritas drivers. The Dr Watson error is not visible as nobody is logged on on the backup server. The message appears in the event log. Yesterday I upgraded to build 5522 of BE 10. We will see if things improve now.

Amruta_Bhide
Level 6
Hello,
Can you update us on the issue.

Did installing the new build help?
----------------------------------------------------------------------
NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked "assumed answered" and would be moved to "answered questions" pool.

Guy_Braeckmans
Level 3
With the new build 5522, the problem is NOT solved. Happened again during the week end.

The application, D:\Backup Exec\bengine.exe, generated an application error The error occurred on 06/04/2005 @ 01:05:16.473 The exception generated was c0000005 at address 7C350428 (MSVCR71!wcscpy)

Guy_Braeckmans
Level 3
I see that this problem is already mentioned in the knowledge base under article 276242 since april 12. This is clearly a bug that has not been solved in the latest build 5520.We need an urgent fix for this since backups are not reliable this way.

Deepali_Badave
Level 6
Employee
Hello,

we suggest you to try executing following steps:-

1. In Backup Exec go to Tools> Options> Preferences and see if "Display Progress Indicators" is checked. If so uncheck the check box for "Display Progress Indicators" and click on the "OK" button to apply the change
2). Try renaming the "Catalogs" folder.
Stop all Backup Exec services
Go to Root Drive:\\Program Files\VERITAS\Backup Exec\NT
Rename the "Catalogs" folder to "Catalogs_OLD"
Start all of the backup Exec Services
3). If the above steps do not help download an run Microsoft Component Checker and verify there are no miss matched DLL's for MDAC.
Also please update us on the results.

If the problem persists we suggest you to contcat our voice support so that our technical representataivesd will assist you troubleshoot this issue further.
Please note voice support is a paid option.

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.

Guy_Braeckmans
Level 3
Step 1 was already configured (unchecked).
I have done step 2 also. We'll see in the next couple of days if it helps. Step 3 shows no problems.

Renuka_-
Level 6
Employee
Hello,

Thank you for the update please write back after all the tests.

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answeredand would be moved toanswered questions pool.

Guy_Braeckmans
Level 3
It did not happen again yet after the modifications. Usually there's 4 or 5 days between errors. Will give feed back after a few days.

Guy_Braeckmans
Level 3
Last night the bengine stopped again this time without any drwatson errors. It just stopped and was automatically restarted. Of course the backup failed.

Deepali_Badave
Level 6
Employee
Hello,

As the Job engine stopped again ,what is the exact error message?

Are there any errors occured in the event logs?

Please update.

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.

Guy_Braeckmans
Level 3
Like I said there are no error messages whatsoever, neither in the event log. the only entry I see is

The Backup Exec Job Engine service terminated unexpectedly. It has done this 1 time(s). The following corrective action will be taken in 60000 milliseconds: Restart the service.

Renuka_-
Level 6
Employee
Hello,

1. Please go to start >run type drwtsn32 this will give you the location of the crash dump and the drwatson files. Please check the dr watson file and tell us the faulting module.

2. Please verify that there is sufficient media to complete the job.

3. Also verify that there is no database maintenance running at this time.

4. Recreate the job and check what happens.

5. If the job is too large split the job into multiple jobs.

6. Also please refer to the following technote:

http://support.veritas.com/docs/273065

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answeredand would be moved toanswered questions pool.

Alberto_Silva
Level 2
Good morning Mr. Guy Braeckmans

I had the same problem in my server with Windows 2003 Server when I installed the Service Pack 1. I did all troubleshootings mentioned in this forum and the problems continued.

I am with the build version 5520 of BackupExec 10.0 on Windows 2003 Server Standard and a Tape Library HP MSL5026 installed. After almost two months I solved this problems first with the update of drivers and firmware of Tape Library and after that the drivers of Tape Library to Operational System because after I installed the SP1 of Windows 2003 it was modified and these problems began. I am to the four days with the backups finishing succesfully.

I brought up to date all drivers to Windows 2003 because this problems was related with hardware problems.

Please, verify the versions Windows drivers and after that verify the Veritas Drivers.
Remember, after install Windows drivers and Tape Device drivers, reinstall the Veritas Drivers on BackupExec Server.

Good Luck!

tejashree_Bhate
Level 6
Hello,

With reference to our previous reply to your post, we would request you to update us on the progress.

Additional Information :
For information on the recent VERITAS Backup Exec security vulnerabilities, including links to the downloads for the necessary hotfixes, please refer to the following document:
Patch summary for Security Advisories VX05-001, VX05-002, VX05-003, VX05-005, VX05-006, VX05-007

http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/277429.htm

Note : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked ‘assumed answered’ and would be moved to ‘answered questions’ pool.

Thanks.

Alberto_Silva
Level 2
Good Morning...

Today, the problem with the bengine.exe happened again...
What´s happen with the BackupExec 10.0 plus hotfix 1 and Windows 2003 Server with SP1??

All of the repairs were utilized and the problem persist.
Please, this problem occurried after installation of SP1 to Windows 2003.

The Symantec Veritas could help us?

Jerret_Delanoy
Level 2
Hi All,

Im not sure if this will work for anyone out there, but i thought i would post it. There are a lot of people having this type of issue and I'm hoping that this will help someone.

I had the bengine die on me daily and went through every thread I could find on the Veritas site to find a solution. Some of these include disabling progress indicators, rebuilding the database, moving the catalogs, updating all firmware and drivers, and even a full rebuild of the server.

The last thing that i have tried(which seems to be working) is removing the password protection on the tapes, then doing a quick erase on the tapes before they are written to. I have had no failed bengine.exe messages since this change(2 weeks).