cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

besnmp.trc keeps growing

Sunero
Level 3
I have a BackupExec 9.1 running on a Windows server 2003. The problem is the file c:\winnt\system32\besnmp.trc. The file was 3,5 Gb and growing so I decided to delete it. But veritas just create it againg and it starts to grow again. The file look like this :

01/11/2005 13:09:55 SNMPBEDllMain: Entering SNMPBEDllMain routine.....
01/11/2005 13:09:55 SNMPBEDllMain: Reason code indicates thread detach
01/11/2005 13:09:55 SNMPBEDllMain: Exiting SNMPBEDllMain routine with TRUE

I have disabled all the snmp traps I could find in veritas, but the file is still growing. Is there anything else I could do or someplace else to look for snmp traps ?

Best regards
13 REPLIES 13

Rohit_Sonawale
Level 6
Certified
Hope following technote helps to disable Backup Exec from sending Simple Network Management Protocol traps.

http://support.veritas.com/docs/241030

Varsha
Level 6
We presume that the issue has been resolved.

Sunero
Level 3
I looked at the docs in the link, but I have already looked the places it specifies.

Instead I found something in the F1 manual.

Could the problem be the installation of the "WMI SNMP provider" ? I didn't install the BackupExec and therefor I don't know if this option has been installed or not.

I found the command "Smi2smir /d Backup_Exec_MIB". Could this be the solution and is it safe to run the command or ..?

Darpan_Thaker
Level 5
To ensure that the BESNMP.TRC does not grow to a large size, causing space constraints on the hard disk, it is required for Backup Exec to be unregistered from SNMP. This process requires some registry changes. Hence, we suggest contacting our telephone support centre to resolve the issue. You can see a list of support numbers at our support web site:

http://support.veritas.com/prodlist_path_phone.htm

Sunero
Level 3
I called the number, but they will only help me if I make a case and pay 70 Euro. Nice support !!!

SANDEEP_PILLAY
Level 6
Hi,

As your case requires personal attention, you will hgave to contact the telephone support. You will be charged for the support.

You can see a list of support numbers at our support web site:
http://support.veritas.com/prodlist_path_phone.htm
For the latest details on pricing, please visit
http://support.veritas.com/srv_portfolio/srvc_pricing_matrix.htm

We hope this will help.

ralong
Not applicable
Sunero,

Did you get this resloved? I'm seeing the same on version 8.0 This file is 300MB. I wanted to know if it could be deleted. Veritas wants to charge me for an answer. What a joke.

Thanks.

Vidyaj__Patneka
Level 6
Hi,

We apologize for any inconvenience caused.

But the solution to your issue requires personal attention of Veritas technical representative.In such circumstances where the issue would require detail study and diagnosis of logs and other information,it is always suggested to contact the telephone support.

Sunero
Level 3
I deleted the file and BackupExec just created it again and began to fill up. And I agree, it is a joke not having a free solution to this problem.

Maybe I should set up a schedule to delete the file daily !!! Not pretty but free.

Deepali_Badave
Level 6
Employee
Hello,

We apologize for the inconviniance caused to you.
To resolve this problem, you need to do some registry changes and we can not give you these steps by email.
If the resgistry changes are not done properly it could damage the application or server.
So we recommend you to contcat our telephone support.

Regards,

Sunero
Level 3
I don't wan't to pay 70 Euro's for some registry changes. I stick to my free fix.

Ajit_Kulkarni
Level 6
Hello,

To ensure that the BESNMP.TRC does not grow to a large size, causing space constraints on the hard disk, it is required for Backup Exec to be unregistered from SNMP.

To unregister Backup Exec entries with SNMP, perform the following registry changes:
1) Run REGEDIT.
2) Under the following registry key:
"HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\Currentcontrolset\Services\SNMP\Parameters\Extensionagents"
3) From the right-hand panel, delete the following keys:
"Software\VERITAS\Backup Exec\Snmp Events"
"Software\VERITAS\Backup Exec\TapeAlerts"

Warning: Incorrect use of the Windows registry editor may prevent the operating system from functioning properly. Great care should be taken when making changes to a Windows registry. Registry modifications should only be carried-out by persons experienced in the use of the registry editor application. It is recommended that a complete backup of the registry and workstation be made prior to making any registry changes.

Regards.

NOTE: If we do not receive your intimation within two business days, this post would be assumed answered and archived.

Sunero
Level 3
Hi Ajit

Thank you very much. It was exacly what I was looking for.

Best regards