cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

cannot delete a job in Job Monitor

Not applicable
Hellorunning BEWS 9.1 on server 2003.There is an old job that I deleted yet it won't disappear from the Job Monitor.When I attempt to delete it, it appears to be successfull but the job stays there !Any way to get rid of this ?thanks,chrism.
9 REPLIES 9

ashwin_pawar
Level 6
I would like you to go through this Technote which will give you number of options to delete the job from Job monitor .
http://support.veritas.com/docs/191188

Level 2
Greetings, I have a similar problem except it's NOT an active job. It's an Inventory job that was scheduled 6 months ago that never ran. All my other jobs run fine.
I just cannot delete this one from the job monitor.

Laszlo_Denes
Level 2
Same issue here. Have an old restore job that did not run and now it is stuck in the job monitor interface. I have deleted it 23 times. I have tired disabling and enabling the device, stop/start services, reboot server, run diagnostics... NOTHING worked.... I need to get rid of thiis job (not active... just sits there). HELP!!!!

Renuka_-
Level 6
Hello All,

Please refer to :

http://support.veritas.com/docs/191188

as mentioned before and update us on the outcome.

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answeredand would be moved toanswered questions pool.

Laszlo_Denes
Level 2
It isn't an active job... it is an old restore job that was cancelled and still sits in the queue... I have deleted it several times.... the server has been rebooted at least a dozen times since then... it seems that nothing short of installing Veritas again (not an option) will remove this item!

John_McDonald
Level 2
You may not have enterprise manager iinstalled if you don't have the full version of SQL Server. Here is how I got rid of the phantom job using the MSDE only tool osql.

I am running Backup Exec 9.1 REV 4691

I had a job called 'Inventory Library 0005' that appeared in "Job Monitor" and "Job Setup" screens but it had a 'To be Scheduled' Status and an 'Unknown' Job Type when looking in "Job Monitor" . When you double clicked it in "Job Setup" the information in the form that appeared was blank.

I did the following to fix this issue. Please note that if you screw up your installation I bare _no_ responsibility. Make a full backup. There is a risk if you delete the wrong record it could completely pork your bexec installation.

See `Microsoft SQL Server 2000 Books Online' for information on using osql.exe and the SQL statements below.

1. Shutdown all backup exec services using the "Tools" => "Backup Exec Services..." option in the Backup Exec Console (This shuts thing down in the right order)

2. Login to the Backup Exec MSDE Database Instance
osql -d BEDB -S SERVERNAME\BKUPEXEC -E

3. Make a full backup of your backup exec database just in case.
BACKUP DATABASE BEDB TO DISK='c:\admin\bedb.bak'
go

3.a See notes below

4. Once you know exactly which record to Delete run the following in osql (You have to change the `jobs' and `JobName' and `Inventory Library 0005' to match the record you want to delete)
DELETE FROM jobs WHERE JobName='Inventory Library 0005'
go

5. Restart the Backup Exec services

3.a
Note: To get the name of the fields I used the backup I created and restored it to a local copy of MSDE running on my workstation. Doing this means you can create an ODBC data source to the local 'test' db and use Microsoft Access to look at the tables and their contents to find what to delete. Copy the database backup file to your local machine and then load it as follows using osql

osql -E -q "RESTORE DATABASE test2 FROM DISK='C:\temp\BEDB.bak' WITH MOVE 'bedb_dat' TO 'C:\temp\test2.dat', MOVE 'bedb_log' TO 'c:\temp\test2.log'"

John_McDonald
Level 2
I forgot to mention I am running Small Business Server Windows 2003

Sharvari_Deshmu
Level 6
Hello,

We request you to update us on this issue

Thanks,

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked "assumed answered" and would be moved to "answered questions" pool.Message was edited by:
Sharvari Deshmukh

John_Kelley
Level 3
I have an inventory job that lists no device name and job type unknown, and am unable to remove it and it appears to be preventing any other jobs from running. I read the article but it does not work for my situation. Suggestions?

John