cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

cannot remove "phantom" backup-to-disk Folder

Matthew_Sekulic
Level 2
After patching 9.1 to current, I'd removed a folder titled "Tuesday".

Upon reboot, I attempted to re-instate the folder through BE, only to be presented with the message "...already using that name."

Upon checking, the Tuesday folder had been re-created, but did not appear in the Backup-To-Disk listing.

It seems upon reboot, BE is re-creating the Tuesday folder, but not presenting it.

While it is easy enough to create a "Tuesdays" folder, I've several script programs using the singular names. Is there a way to remove this entry from the SQL database, or force a listing? I'm not keen on re-creating the current backup database from the ground up.
5 REPLIES 5

tejashree_Bhate
Level 6
Hello,

This problem may occur if the path used for creating the backup to disk folder matches with the path of the folder which was initially created. It is imperative that both the Backup Folder Display Name and the Path are
both unique. Even if the backup to disk folder is deleted from Backup Exec, the "Changer.cfg" and "folder.cfg" files will be still remaining in that folder on the hard disk causing this error to occur. Make sure that you remove all the traces of the initial backup to disk folder from the hard
disk and then try creating the new backup to disk folder using the same name.
In addition, you may try creating the backup to disk folder specifying different location on the hard disk and verify the results.
Additional Information :
For information on the recent VERITAS Backup Exec security vulnerabilities, including links to the downloads for the necessary hotfixes, please refer to the following document:
Patch summary for Security Advisories VX05-001, VX05-002, VX05-003, VX05-005, VX05-006, VX05-007

http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/277429.htm

Note : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked ‘assumed answered’ and would be moved to ‘answered questions’ pool.

Thanks.

Matthew_Sekulic
Level 2
The folder name is indeed unique.

Backup Exec re-creates "Tuesday" upon startup, at which time I remove it, and only then attempt to re-create it in the listing.

Before posting, I attempted variants of "Tuesday" with no difficulties, as well as deleting and re-creating the other backup folders.

I've attempted cold restarts of both the BE server and the destination machine, with no change. I've shut down and restarted the services, and attempted again to create the directory, again, no change.

An additional problem as made itself evident over the last 24 hours. A backup that was previously functioning of approximately 20 Gb (spread over individual 4300Mb files) has started to verify at the 540 Mb mark, obviously falling far short of a complete backup. In addition, the services have "hung", preventing shutdown or restart. This was not evident at the time of my first post.

Matthew_Sekulic
Level 2
I occurs that I should perhaps list the patches I installed, that lead up to this behaviour.

- http://support.veritas.com/docs/254079 (Microsoft XML Update)
- The last two patches released

tejashree_Bhate
Level 6
Hello,

As far as the Backup to disk issue is concerned please perform an extensive repair of the database

Go to the Nt folder> Execute Beutility.exe and follow the steps given below.

1. Repair Database
2. Rebuild Indices
3. Compact Database
4. Age Database
5. Check Database Consistency
If this does not help then you would have to start with a fresh database.

Please follow the technote given below in that case.

(title) How to create a new SQL database in Backup Exec 9.x and 10.0 when the original database is corrupt and cannot be repaired
http://support.veritas.com/docs/254014
Note in that case you would loose all your previous configuration.

With regards to the problem with services are you getting any alerts ,under the alerts tab?
Additional Information :
For information on the recent VERITAS Backup Exec security vulnerabilities, including links to the downloads for the necessary hotfixes, please refer to the following document:
Patch summary for Security Advisories VX05-001, VX05-002, VX05-003, VX05-005, VX05-006, VX05-007

http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/277429.htm

Note : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked ‘assumed answered’ and would be moved to ‘answered questions’ pool.

Thanks.

Matthew_Sekulic
Level 2
Thank you for the response.

All of the database steps have been attempted, to no avail. The problem remains. As I suspected, a recent backup or fresh database is called for.

As to the alerts, nothing that would not be expected from forcing the services to stop.