Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

database questions

Glynne_Trower
Level 2
What is BEDB_Dat.bak?
Why is it so big? 283,200KB
What can I do to make it smaller?

I keep getting various job faliures and when I try to open the Job History log it will not open. It just hangs and I have to force quit BE. Also the jobs never get to 100% complete. They stay at 99% until I force quit BE. When these things are happening if I got into the windows task manager beserver.exe Mem Usage will be upwards of 300,000K.
5 REPLIES 5

uz
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
lots of questions:

bedb_dat.bak is an empty BEDB database, that the BE installation creates right after the initial installation of BE.
(it uasually is about 6 MB in size)
But whenever you would run a database repair from beutility or you are applying a BE Service pack (SP1 or SP2)
the system first dumps the current BEDB database into bedb_dat.bak to ensure to have a valid copy of the db if ever the repair or SP patch would harm the original DB.
This way bedb_dat.bak gets bigger.
You should not touch it. -(or manually empty your live BEDB after dumping it to bedb.bak - save the dump - dump the manually emptied DB to a new bedb.bak - rename this one bedb_dat.bak - recover the original bedb.bak and than recover backup exec from the oroginal bedb.nak)
If it is NOT clear what I ment: DO NOT DO IT !

Just one more:
Jobs hanging at 99% - when a jab is finished, the tape will be rewinded. This is shown as 99%, as actually the job has finished, but the tape drive did not yet state so.
Check if you have "eject tape after job finished" activated.
If the tape drive can not actually eject (e.g. DLT) the system waits for someone to manually take the tape out.

Maybe this clears a few of the questions

regards

uz

Sharvari_Deshmu
Level 6
Hello,

In addition to the previous reply please see the foll information:

The following list is the file and its use that are found in ..\VERITAS\Backup Exec\NT\Data:

BEDB.BAK: This is the dump file of the current working Backup Exec database. This file is updated either by the automatic database maintenance or by manually dumping the database using BEUTILITY.

BEDB_DAT.BAK: This a blank database. When you recover your database from base when using BEUTILITY, or if the live database is deleted, this file is loaded.

BEDB_DAT.MDF: This is the live database. This file contains the actual table spaces and data that Backup Exec uses.

BEDB_LOG.LDF: This is part of the live database. This file contains the logs associated with BEDB_DAT.MDF.

BEX*****.XML: These files are the job logs from any jobs that have been performed by Backup Exec. Double-clicking one of these files will bring up the job log to view.

Please do not remove any of the files listed above, as Backup Exec may cease to function correctly. For assistance on working with any of the aforementioned files, please contact VERITAS Technical Services.

Also regarding the job that hangs at 99% please see the technote below:
http://support.veritas.com/docs/192055

Thanks,

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked "assumed answered" and would be moved to "answered questions" pool.

Glynne_Trower
Level 2
Ok thanks. Great info. So the fact that the BEDB_Dat.bak is 283,200KB is ok then? No need to worry about the size?

Also any ideas about the job falures?

Completed Status: Failed
Final Error: 0x000feab - Corrupt data encountered - See job log for details.
Final error category: Resource Errors

The log says "Error, Unable to open \ because it is currently being backed up by another process. Database or database element is corrupt.

Then WARNING: \\WHAMAIL\Mocrosoft Information Store\First Storage Group\Mailbox Store (WHAMAIL) is a corrupt file.
I get this for the Public Folder Store and the Log files as well.

uz
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
Glynne, this is due to the fact, that you are backing up your Exchange 2003 twice within the same job.
First by MS Shadow Copy snapshot and second with the BE exchange agent.

see: http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/270459.htm

for detailed info and solution.

regards

uz

tejashree_Bhate
Level 6
Hello,

With reference to the previous reply to your post, we would request you to update us on the progress. Has the technote been useful?

Thanks.

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.