cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Disaster recovery failure

mike_menard
Level 4
i was testing our disaster recovery procedure using a CD i created of a server. i booted the disk, selected to recover, and the system went for a while and stopped dead saying it couldn't find APLSVBR1.SYS.

i have no idea what this is.
can anybody help?
5 REPLIES 5

Deepali_Badave
Level 6
Employee
Hello,

Are you performing local IDR or remote?
it seems that
the file 'aplsvbr1.sys' was not copied to the image. It could be possible
due to faulty Operating System CD, which you are using for image creation.
Please try to create the image with some other Windows 2000 CD.
To diagnose the issue, you may try creating the IDR boot diskettes. When
recovering the system use the same CD which was used for image creation and
check whether the Windows 2000 is getting installed, or, whether it is
failing with same error message.

-- Check if c:\program files\veritas\backup exec\nt\idr\disk2 on Media server > the file APLSVBR1.SYS is there

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.

mike_menard
Level 4
aplsvbr1.sy_ is in
F:\program files\veritas\backup exec\nt\idr\disk2
(where i've installed be)
the windows 2000 disk i used works fine for a clean install.
i think the creation process for the idr boot cd is flawed.
this install of 2000 doesn't have sp4 on it as it broke a print driver for an engineering plotter.

the real problem is, that this server did really die. we had moved off of it to a 2003 print server, and move all legacy printers to an nt4 box we put up. there is no way to re-create the idr disk for his system as it no longer functions.

Renuka_-
Level 6
Employee
Hello,

The isntallation Cd works fine for a clean install, so please use this CD instead o the idr CD you have created while running idr and check if that works.

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answeredand would be moved toanswered questions pool.

mike_menard
Level 4
for installation cd do you mean the microsoft w2k cd?
yes this cd works, and does create a version of w2k, and i can do a restore from tape after that.

is there a way i can take the cd i created and copy/add this missing file? what directory on the cd should it have been in?

Shyam_Sundar
Level 6
Hello,

It should be a CD RW, only then you can do it.

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked "assumed answered" and would be moved to "answered questions"pool.