cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

e0008516 - Resources specified for snapshot do not have any valid data on them. Check if files were deleted or renamed.

agvonline
Level 4

Hi

I am having problems with the following error message when backing up Exchange 2007 SP3 mailboxes with Backup Exec 2010 SP3 on a MS 2008 SP2 server:

"e0008516 - Resources specified for snapshot do not have any valid data on them. Check if files were deleted or renamed."

I have tried absolutely everything to fix the issue, spending hours (and hours) reading and trying all the solutions I can find online. In my case the ONLY solution which works EVERY time is to restart the Exchange server and retry the backup job. The reason I wanted to post this thread is that the problem for me only started in August when I upgraded the server from SP1 to SP2 and Exchange 2007 from SP1 to SP3. I also did all other Windows updates on that day. Prior to this, the backup job in question had ran successfully for over three years!

What I find is that the backup will work for 5-10 days no problem then fail. After a restart, it will work again for another period of time before failing again.

I have a very long list of updates that may have caused the issue, too long to list here. But has anybody else noticed this behavior only started after an MS updates(s)?

Thanks

Andrew

10 REPLIES 10

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Have you tried deleting your job and re-creating it?

Backup_Exec1
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Hi

I presume backup exec version in your case is BE2010 R3 with sp2 and all updates ,also before you restart the server and it works fine for few days have checked the writer status before restarting the server and when the problem reoccur again

Thanks

agvonline
Level 4

Hi

Wow, thanks for the quick response.

Yes, I have recreated the job. Also, since the problem started I have also created a seperate job which only backs up the Exchange Information stores, but the error still occurs.

The backup exec is 2010 R3 with SP2 and all updates applied. I check updates weekly now hoping any new hotfixes will cure the problem :)

Before I restart the server I do check the the VSS writers. Strangely I have never seen an error on them. One time, I noticed that after a failed job the shadow copies where showing as DISABLED but had '0kb' used. When I enabled shadow copies on the drive where the Information store is located and then immediately disabled shadow copies again (i.e. so that it no longer said '0kb used'), the backup job then worked. I thought that was the problem... but since then I've not seen this behavior repeated when the job fails.

I've also tried the FIXVSS08 script which exists out there. This requires a restart afterwards, but as I mentioned, a restart on its own resolves the issue anyway, so I've concluded the script doesn't really help.

Also, I have a scheduled task running to restart the VSS service daily ahead of the backup job, just in case this was the problem. But that doesn't seem to help either. I did this as once (and only once), a restart of the VSS service solved the problem without having to restart the server.

As I say, I really have tried everything...

...that also includes trying the different Exhange options in BE, as well as the different AOFO options. I've also reinstalled the Backup client on the server and checked it is still licenced.

Andrew

lmosla
Level 6

Hi,  What kind of Windows Event Application errors do you see that occur before the job fails?

agvonline
Level 4

Hi

That's the strange thing. I ran a backup job at 08:33 yesterday morning which failed at 09:17. In that time, the only entries in the Application log of the exchange server which relate to VSS are:

8224 - VSS entered an idle state.

Not helpful really. There's no error messages in that time, just information messages.

Andrew

RJKWC
Level 3

Hi Andrew,

I'm having exactly the same problem and have been for the past month. Same error, same version of BackupExec, Exchange and OS.

The backup will work for a week or so then fail. A restart seems the only way to resolve the issue.

Were you able to find a solution?

Thanks,

Roy

agvonline
Level 4
Hi I've not been able to identify the problem. However I have a possible solution, which has so far worked every time for me. All I do is reinstall the agent on the exchange server. I run the RAWSx64 setup.exe and do a 'Repair'. I don't restart the server. After that, I retry the backup. Why this works I can't say, but I've tried so many things and so far this has a 100% success rate. Andrew

RJKWC
Level 3

Ok - thanks for advising.

I had already tried re-installing the agent but restarted afterwards so I'll give it another go and see if I get the same result.

If it saves me having to reboot it will be a great help - even if it doesnt fix the underlying issue.

I read one article regarding the incorrect version of the 'ese.dll' file in the c:\temp\backup exec directory causing this issue. This folder on the Exchange server is used as a staging area by GRT when backing-up to tape. When I look in there I can see 'IMG' folders for each backup that has worked. Problem is the 'ese.dll' version located there on my setup is the same version Exchange is using so not sure whether to investigate further. I also cant find a WMIPRVSE process locking 'ese.dll' in the same location but maybe it is applicable to your issue.

Roy

RJKWC
Level 3

Hi,

Couldn't re-install the agent as the Backup Exec agent service locks on shutting down. Tried every  concieveable approach to kill the 'beremote.exe' process without any luck. Waiting for a window to restart the exchange server now.

Symantec - this is a major pain.

R.

RJKWC
Level 3

Andrew,

Not sure if you're still having this issue but see this here :-

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/exchange-2007-backup-issue-0 .

I cant get the pre-release fix yet as contract has expired but it may help you.

BR,

R.