cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

e000fec9 - A failure occurred accessing the Writer metadata BE 11.d

David_Davis_2
Level 3
I have a Windows 2003 Std Server w/SP2 running Backup Exec 11.d.  When I try to run a simple flat file backup (no system state, no shadow copy components, etc)......i receive the following error.

Error category    : Resource ErrorsError             : e000fec9 - A failure occurred accessing the Writer metadata.
For additional information regarding this error refer to link V-79-57344-65225

I have searched the KB, and have checked out the following article 264350.  I have ran through all things the article states to check, the results have been normal (no errors)....VSS is not disabled, and all the writers are in a STABLE mode.  I even contacted Microsoft and they told me that the VSS update referred to in the article was included in both SP1 and SP2 for Server 2003.

Can anyone provide any assitance?

Thanks,
Dave
5 REPLIES 5

Greg_Meister
Level 6
Hi Dave,

Have you tried running the "vssadmin list writers" command at the time of the failure? I ask because the VSS writers can reset themselves after a period of time, and appear stable with no errors if not checked right away. Also, is this occurring on any server being backed up, just the local machine, or a specific remote server?

Please let me know any other specifics of this environment, such as when this error began, any changes on the media serrver or remote servers, etc.

Thanks,
Greg

David_Davis_2
Level 3
Greg,

Thanks for your response.  Based on your post, I have ran the "vssadmin list writers" command immediately after receiving the failure message from Backup Exec.....however all writers still show stable and no errors.  This is a standalone backup server (no remote backups are being performed).  I am doing simple directory backups....no system states, no shadow copy, etc.  All data resides on local Direct Attached Storeage storage and a fibre attached SAN drive.  I have tried to run a backups off both the DAS and SAN drives and receive this same error.  The server is Server 2003 R2 x32.  I recently installed SP2 for server just the other day in hopes of maybe correcting the issue.   I am not real sure as to what may have changed or when this started....this server is used for data archiving purposes and does not run daily or weekly backups.....so the last time I initiated a backup was approx 1 month ago.   This server also has Continuous Protection Server 11 installed.

Thanks again for your help.

-Dave

David_Davis_2
Level 3
I believe I have found a solution.  I had Continuous Protection server running....so I decided to stop all services related to it, and try the backup again..........this time it worked!!  Are Backup Exec and CPS not supported on the same server?

Greg_Meister
Level 6
Dave,

While both can be installed and run on the same server, it is advised to have CPS stopped when Backup Exec is running jobs.

Greg

David_Davis_2
Level 3
Ok Greg, thanks! I'll make a note of it.