cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

email notifications garbled at 74th character

Brent_Gardner
Level 3
I'm using BackupExec for Windows Servers v9.1r4691.

I have configured the system to send email alerts to admins upon job completion. In every message coming from the system, a space is inserted at character 74 on any line that is 74 characters long or longer. This includes text in the message body or the subject line.

My first thoughts are that there is a setting somewhere that determines when to wrap text in the message and that the space isn't really a space but a carriage return that is being misinterpreted, but I can't find such a setting anywhere in the Backup Exec management console.

Any ideas?
11 REPLIES 11

Gauri_Ketkar
Level 6
Hi,

The email message sent by BE after job completion or as per the configuration done by user ... whereas a user cant do setting about how and what subject line should contain...

This is by design.

Update us on the same and revert for any further Query
Hope this will help you

Thank you
Gauri

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked "assumed answered" and would be moved to "answered questions" pool.

Brent_Gardner
Level 3
Thank you for your reply.

I agree that the user cannot control the content of messages sent by BE.

My issue is that BE is formatting the messages strangely:

In every line of text in the messages sent by BE, if that line is at least 74 characters long, BE is inserting a space at the 74th character. This happens in the body of the message as well as in the subject line.

Thanks.

Brent

Shraddha_Dhaval
Level 6
Hi,

If the issue is still persists we suggest you to repair the database.

Please refer to the following link.

http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/265180.htm

Please revert incase of any doubts.

Thanks.

Note : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked ?assumed answered? and would be moved to ?answered questions? pool.

Brent_Gardner
Level 3
Thank you for your response.

I repaired the database but the problem persists.

Here's some sample text from the notification emails I receive:

from the email subject:
Backup Exec Alert: Job Success (Server: "ADM-MIS-TAPE-BA") (Job: "Exchang e01 Daily Exchange DB Hourly Incremental Backup")

Note the space in the word "Exchange01"

From the message body:
(Server: "ADM-MIS-TAPE-BA") (Job: "Exchange01 Daily Exchange DB Hourly In cremental Backup") Completed Successfully.

Note the space in the word "Incremental"

Both spaces occur at the 74th character.

Amruta_Bhide
Level 6
Hello Brent,
We would like to know:
- Does this happen for every job? Or only Exchange Backups? Or any other Specific bacupups.
- Does this happen only on the 74th character from the Start or after every 74th character?
- Does this affect your Backups in any way?

Note : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked �assumed answered� and would be moved to �answered questions� pool.

Thanks.

Brent_Gardner
Level 3
Thank you for your reply.

Yes, this happens for every job, not just Exchange.

It seems to happen for every line that is greater than 74 characters in length. The system doesn't generate many messages where a single line is significantly longer than 74 characters so I've never noticed before if this happens in other positions past the 74th character. Checking just now, I found a message where it happened at the 74th and 148th (2x74) characters.

It doesn't seem to have any effect on the Backups: I can restore files and verify their integrity via MD5 checksums. I have to write multiple mail rules to properly sort these messages, though.

Joshua_Small_2
Level 4
Hi Brent,

This occurs on every server I have.

Amruta, rather than just throwing rubbish at him, how about testing this yourself (assuming you've actually got a BE server you have access to).

It's pretty obvious this is another bug in the product.

Deepali_Badave
Level 6
Employee
Hello,

Please perform the repair installation.

Please refer the following technote:

http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/253199.htm

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.

Joshua_Small_2
Level 4
Hi Deepali,

Thanks for that. Now how about a serious response?

Brent_Gardner
Level 3
Thanks for your reply.

I won't be able to do this until after the weekend but before I start, what is the likelyhood that a reinstall will totally hose my current configuration and all currently configured jobs?

It was quite difficult to get this system set up and working to begin with. I can't commit 2 days to a reinstall right now. As far as I can tell the system works except for this issue. It may only be a cosmetic issue but it is an annoyance I have to deal with every day.

Sharvari_Deshmu
Level 6
Hello,

We suggest that you perform a repair, please note that repair will not change the BE configuration but will just repair the corrupted files if any.

Thanks,

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.