cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

igear.exe monopolizing CPU time

Robert_Pummill
Level 3
I am running Windows 2000 Server (SP4) with Backup Exec 9.1 (REV 4691). About 2 weeks ago I began to notice a slowdown on the server. If I attempted to open a job detail report in the job monitor, it would take 5 to 10 minutes to open.

Upon further observation, I am finding the igear.exe service is continuously utilizing processor time. It will be at 0 for around 3 seconds and then will jump back and forth between 10 to 90 percent of CPU usage for about 5 seconds and then cycle again. I was told by Symantec tech support on the phone that this igear.exe is typcally used with backup software.

I have restarted the server and stopped and started the backup services. Any thoughts?
2 REPLIES 2

Ajit_Kulkarni
Level 6
Hello,

As the job log is taking lot of time to open, you can go Tools - Options - Job logs.
Check what is the option you have selected. If its 4th option then you can change it to the 1st option i.e Summary Information Only and now the check the results.

Hope this helps you.

Regards

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked "assumed answered" and would be moved to "answered questions" pool.

Robert_Pummill
Level 3
Thank you Ajit,

It was set for detail view. I changed that. The igear.exe file that Symantec told me was Veritas is actually their Web Security program. Sorry for the confusion.

Robert