cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

includes / excludes not working using NDMP on Netapp with Backup Exec

Colordeaf
Level 3

Hello Everyone,

I'm going absolutely mental here because I feel like I have used every logical approach to get this working.

We're using LTO2 to perform full backups on our environment on backup exec 12.5. We recently migrated our fileserver to a netapp however since compression does not work at all te volume is far too big to fit on tape so I wanted to backup specific dirs on the netapp.

Here comes the problem, I can't seem to have these specific dirs backed up when using include/exclude and instead it backs up the entire volume every time.

Here's what I tried so far.

includes:

- create job
- go to include/exclude
- select ndmp
- navigate to dir on netapp volume
- tick include
- apply

When I go to view selections it's listed as:

//ip/vol/volumename/dirname1/*
//ip/vol/volumename/dirname2/*

submit, backs up the entire volume.

excludes:

- create job
- go to include/exclude
- select ndmp
- navigate to volume on netapp
- tick exclude
- type in dirname in pattern
- apply

When I go to selections it's listed as:

//ip/vol/volumename/*
//ip/vol/volumename/dirname1 /EXCLUDE
//ip/vol/volumename/dirname2 /EXCLUDE
//ip/vol/volumename/dirname3 /EXCLUDE

submit, backs up entire volume.

So what am I missing here? I'm kinda going insain here since we just migrated our fileserver to a filer and now I don't have a way to perform full backups selectively on the filer.

8 REPLIES 8

pkh
   VIP    Certified

If I understand things correctly, when you use NDMP, you have to backup the entire volume.

If you want to backup specific shares, then you got to back them up using CIFS shares, not NDMP.

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Adding to the above comment,

Have a look @ these KBs as well ~

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH64933

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH67462

Shares cannot be excluded, but files/directories from the volume can. Inversely, cannot include specific shares, directories for backup as the entire volume needs to be backed up (with or without file/directory exclusions)

Colordeaf
Level 3

But I read stories of backing up CIFS shares without NDMP is extremely slow.

Colordeaf
Level 3

sorry let me rephrase, the sharenames are are suppose to be directorynames (sharenames are on the same level so I made a mistake writing this post). so I am actually including /excluding directories. Accoriding to your second link includes apparently don't work, but since the excludes I've stated are actually directory names, it should work right?

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Did you meet all the criteria stated in the document, like case sensitivity?

Colordeaf
Level 3

Yes I did meet the criteria like case sensitivity. Allthough if I look at the article I see that I used it differently.

What I did was:

//ip/vol/volumename/*
//ip/vol/volumename/dirname1 /EXCLUDE
//ip/vol/volumename/dirname2 /EXCLUDE
//ip/vol/volumename/dirname3 /EXCLUDE

but the article states

//ip/vol/volumename/*

//ip/vol/volumename/dirname1/* /EXCLUDE
//ip/vol/volumename/dirname2/* /EXCLUDE
//ip/vol/volumename/dirname3/* /EXCLUDE

Is that really a difference?

Colordeaf
Level 3

guess I have to look up netapp NDMP documentation because following all the symantec articles doesn't work so far.

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

I do not think you can use / or \ characters in NDMP excludes, certainly in any testing i have done those characters do result in ignoring the exclude and doing a full backup. As such I think you can only use a piece of text with maybe a wildcard that is searched for across all file and folder names (which I know is very limited in functaionality) however we are limited by the restrictions provided by the hardware vendor (in this case NetApp) so yes you do have to start looking at the NetApp documentation (although do come back to Symantec if it appears that a Syntax that NetApp states should work does not)