cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

latest backupexec

dlee12
Level 3
hi! what's the replacement of idr in the latest backupexec? how do i do a metal restore in this case? anyone can advise the steps by steps instruction on this? and some instruction to recover a ms sql 2005 database? thanks.

any different between backupexec and netbackup in this area? thanks.

i know there's a backup exec recovery...is that a spereate components to backupexec which i need to purchase seperately?
3 REPLIES 3

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

IDR has never been a bare metal restore as if databases are active on the servers then you usually have to do at least 1 extra pass to restore the databases. IDR is however still in BackuP Exec 2010 but no longer needs a separate license to use it..So basic steps for an IDR with SQL installed would be:

Use IDR to recover the file system and system state
Then reboot
Then use a normal SQL restore job to restore the SQL data into the SQL server.

Because Netbackup is a block level product and Backup exec is a file level product it is extremely likely that there are differences in the ability to do complete server restores. Similarly Backup Exec System Recovery, BESR for short, (which is a separate product and based on the original Live State Recovery product range) may be a better option. Both BESR and NetBackup have their own forums so you might want to post questions about single pass/bare metal recovery on those 2 forums as well.

dlee12
Level 3
hi! thanks for the comment. i got another question about sql svr restore is that. What would be the normal practice if i've a database with multiple linked tables. If i would to restore it back to the last backup state. Can i restore the whole databases (master + all the user created tables) at one go?

so if i'm using idr, do i still need to load the scsi + misc drivers with the cd provided with the svr before doing a complete restore of the system?

for the latest backupexec can i point the backup path to a NAS storage?

thx

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

The new forms of IDR run an operating system directly off the CD - instead of installing components to the disk and then rebooting before starting the restore like the old version did. This CD is built from an analysis of the server you backed up - in an attempt to make sure all the required hardware drivers are available for the boot process.

At times we do run into newer hardware that we can't detect the information on properly - however usually you won't need to supply extra drivers.

With regards NAS storage you can use it as a Backup Path (over UNC) - however it is possible that the IDR process might not be able to address it for a restore (if you are running IDR as a media server - and not running IDR as a remote agent with the media server somewhere else)

As such my recommended answer is  install Backup Exec in trial mode (with IDR enabled) on your hardware/environment and test it.