cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

library cleaning problem

Bart_Wille
Level 3
Hi,

When we run a cleaning job on our library, the job starts, goes to about 10% and then just sits there until we cancel the job a couple of hours later.

There is not tape picked, even though there is a new cleaning tape in a slot designated as cleaning slot. Backup Exec acknowledges that it's a cleaning tape by naming it a cleaning tape, putting it in the cleaning media set and by showing it online.

There is nothing logged in the Windows events, nor in the Library FSC logs.

Since we have two drive in the library, I already tried to disable the one we're not trying to clean. Without success.

basically the jobs runs, but doesn't do anything.

We use a Storagetek L20 with two drives, an LTO1 and an LTO3.

Anyone who's had the same problem?

regards,
Bart
12 REPLIES 12

Gauri_Ketkar
Level 6
Hi,

Are you getting any Alert in backup Exec ?

Do you have a Library Expansion Option ?

Update us on the same and revert for any further Query
Hope this will help you

Thank you
Gauri

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked "assumed answered" and would be moved to "answered questions" pool.

Bart_Wille
Level 3
I'm not getting any alerts at all, except when I cancel the job of course.

We do have a library expansion option for Backup Exec.

Todd_McFadden
Level 3
I am having the same problem. When I try to run a cleaning job, it usually hangs indefinitely at 10%. I also get a failure if I let it go long enough. The error in the job log is: Final error: 0xa000810d - Physical Volume Library Media not found. I have the appropriate slot labeled for cleaning and the cartridge is recognized as cleaning media. I have also tried initializing the drive and using a new cleaning cartridge. Nothing works. Any ideas?

Thank you.

Todd

Shilpa_pawar_2
Level 6
Hi,

Disable removable storage (RSM) service if running.

Check for errors in application and system log.

Is the library compatible with BE. Refer: http://support.veritas.com/docs/282347

Install latest driver and firmware: http://support.veritas.com/docs/273853

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked "assumed answered" and would be moved to "answered questions" pool.

Todd_McFadden
Level 3
Shilpa,

RSM is not running. The application log shows the same error message I spoke of before "Physical Volume Library Media not found." No error in system log.

The company has been using BE with this library for years. Cleaning was never a problem in the past.

We are using Version 9.1 rev. 4691.

We are using an Exabyte VXA drive.

Asma_Tamboli
Level 6
Hi,

Can you perform the other functions like inventorying and running the backups fine? Does the error only occur when you attempt to run a cleaning job?

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.

Todd_McFadden
Level 3
Yes, we can perform other functions like inventorying and backups fine. The error only occurs when we try to clean.

Gauri_Ketkar
Level 6
Hi Bart,

Could you please update us on the status..

Revert for any further Query
Hope this will help you

Thank you
Gauri

Todd_McFadden
Level 3
Gauri,

I don't know about Bart, but I am still having the issue with cleaning.

-Todd

Bart_Wille
Level 3
I've found the sollution to our problem.

Apparantly, BE 9.1 refused to use cleaning tapes that have not been properly labeled, even though the "Enable bar code rules" options is turned off for the library

I've created labels for the cleaning tapes with the following names:

CLN 01
CLN 02

As suffix I used L1 and changed the LTO CLN barcode rule to use L1 as suffix (tools > options > bar code rules)

After that, the cleaning runs just fine.

Hope it helps.

Regards,
Bart

Ashutosh_Tamhan
Level 6
Do you have any robotic library tools which might be able to clean the tape drives?
Is it possible with any of such tools?
Regards, Ashutosh NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.

Todd_McFadden
Level 3
That fixed it for me. I don't remember ever having to label cleaning tapes in the past but I guess I need to start.

Thanks Bart!

-Todd