cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

multihomed machines...backing up on alternative network

Rob_Bosch
Level 3
Hi all. I am running Backup Exec 10.0 sp 4, and the latest remote agent has been pushed out to all my servers. I have a special backup subnet running, which I use to perform backups on certain servers. This has been running fine for a couple of months. The only issue I had occasionally was that my backup would hang during an Exchange mailbox backup. I looked at my remote agents, and noticed that they were not the latest version. This was mentioned as a possible issue on a kb article, so I pushed out the newest agent to all my servers and the backup ran fine for a couple of days. Today I came in to notice that my media server cannot communicate with any of the remote servers via the special backup subnet. Now I can ping back and forth between these machines on the backup subnet without issue. I can also run the backup on the regular LAN subnet without issue. I restarted the media server, and that did not solve the problem.

How can I troubleshoot this issue? I would like to see the settings for the backup subnet on the media server, but I am unable to find where they are. When I pushed the agent out to the remote servers, I was presented with a dialog for setting up the backup subnet. Now I would like to see where those settings are stored so I can take a look at them. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance for your help!

-Rob
3 REPLIES 3

shweta_rege
Level 6
Hello,

-- Add the IP address and Host name of the Remote server to LMHOSTS file and HOSTS file on media server and IP address and Host name of the Media server to LMHOSTS file and HOSTS file on Remote Server. To do this, you will need to locate the lmhosts.sam file and edit it with notepad. Add the target servers name to bottom of the file, and save. This might require a reboot for it to get loaded in to the system.

-- Please check if the Port 10000, which is the default port used by NDMP(Network Data Management Protocol) is not used by any other application. If it is used by another application, please follow the steps given in the following Technote:

TITLE: How to change the port that NDMP uses in VERITAS Backup Exec 9.x for Windows Servers

http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/255498.htm

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered
and would be moved to answered questions pool.

Rob_Bosch
Level 3
Thanks for your response. I re-pushed the agent to my remote machines, and for now that seemed to fix the problem. If I run into any new problems I will make the additions to the lmhosts and hosts file that you recommend. Thanks again.

-Rob

Rob_Bosch
Level 3
OK I wrote my follow up message a bit too early this morning. I had a job fail on me this afternoon with the same problem. It was unable to find the server on my backup subnet. I went in and made the changes to the hosts and lmhosts file, and that seems to have fixed my problem..the backup is now running. The part that puzzles me is that this was all working perfectly, until I did the upgrade to my remote agents. I had actually been running an older version of the remote agent until recently. So it appears that the newer version of the remote agent has an issue with using a different subnet for backups. The workaround does the trick, but it's just that...a workaround.

Anyway thanks again for your help.

-Rob