cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

no printers

Richard_Thornbe
Not applicable
Installed network printers not being recognized. "Target Printer" drop down list is empty when trying to add a recipient printer. "Print" is grayed-out on File menu. Works fine in previous versions. Server is WIN2K server sp4. Thanks.
36 REPLIES 36

perry_baker
Level 6
Employee Accredited
It sounds like the problem is due to this requirement as found on page 558 of the BE Admin Guide.

Only printers that were configured using the same username and password as the Backup Exec service account can be selected.

So this means you should login as the Backup Exec service account and then install or uninstall / reinstall the desired printer. At that point it should appear for the Printer Notification Recipient.

You will probably be able to see the File > Print become available after you install the driver while logged in as the Backup Exec service account and then go to the Alerts tab, select an Alert in the top pane, then click in the lower details pane and then click File > Print...there's just not a lot of "printable" items in the main BE window.

John_Stipe
Level 2
I tried this and still no printer. Do we need to add the "Print Device" string value to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Symantec\Backup Exec For Windows\Backup Exec\User Interface with the network path to the printer?

perry_baker
Level 6
Employee Accredited
You can certainly try that registry change, although I would be surprised if it works.

Something else to mention is that you shouldn't try to setup a printer through the remote administration console, you should be logged on to the local BE server as the BE service account.

If this fails logon as the BE service account and delete all printers, then attempt to add them again. If you have to provide any alternate credentials during Printer installation then that could also be a problem.

If none of these options are successful then it sounds like you will need to open a support case.

Richard_Thorn1
Level 3
We only use the domain administrator account on this server. That is how we installed printers, BE, etc. BE services run under it. I received a call from tech support and here's what we found. We installed a different printer that had never been on that server before and BE recognized it just fine. We installed another new printer and it worked also. However, BE will not recognize previously installed printers at all. Even if we delete and re add them. So even though we can't auto print to the desired printer, we can auto print.

Per_Sandstr_m
Level 3
I have the same problem as Richard. But my printer is local on the server.
Win 2003 R2, The only available printer i have is
"Microsoft XPS Document Writer"

John_Stipe
Level 2
I have tried locally logged in and logged in over RDP as the domain admin which is the same as the service account. I am going to try to add the key. I will let you know how it goes. Otherwise, I am looking for Symantec/Veritas to to provide an update to make using a printer as a notification resource easier.

Richard_Thorn1
Level 3
RDP or local behaves the same here. I haven't tried the reg key.

John_Stipe
Level 2
No matter how I log in, no matter how I set up the printer, BE does not see it. I have tried adding the registry key, I have tried re-adding the printer while loggoed i as the service account and nothing seems to work.

This is clearly an issue, other people are having it, and it should be fixed by Symantec/Veritas with some kind of update.

Richard_Thorn1
Level 3
I agree John. Can you initiate an incident with Symantec? Since they "Kind of" fixed my issue, they closed mine.

Tech_Practical
Level 2
We had the same problem with a Ricoh 2045E and a Ricoh 1224C using the RPCS drivers. Other printers were in the list, but not the ones we wanted to print to.
When we used a PCL5e driver for 2045E, the printer automagically appeared in the notification list. Woot!
Hope this helps someone.

Richard_Thorn1
Level 3
Thanks for the info. We are only using PCL5E and PCL6 drivers and it doesn't make any difference.

Roel
Level 3
I have the same problem. With is old printer (Brother 2070) no problem but with our new printer sharp MX2300N. The same problem, the printer is not publish in backup exec. Is there a

BKM_Helpdesk
Not applicable
We have the same problem here. I have found something on the internet:

But it doesn't help...

No more news on this problem from symantec?

Greetz

Hemmer
Level 3
 I am now having the same problem along with the other people in this post. I have tried this fix along with every other one in the post and I am still unable to see the Printer. Is there a real fix for this issue? I can print from any other application on this server which is a new server running Windows server 2003 R2. I even went as far as deleting all printers off the server deleting the BE software then reinstalled the printers and then the software thinking there was a certain order that BE liked. ie.. Printers being loaded first then the software. This didn't work either. I can continue and have my alerts sent via email but I need hard copy of records for Audit purposes.

Any help suggestions in this matter would be appreciated.

Thanks

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
Since they "Kind of" fixed my issue, they closed mine.

Forgive me, but since when can a support incident be closed if the customer doesn't feel the problem is resolved.  Call back and ask to speak to a Lead/Supervisor.  Keep going up 'til you get satisfaction

I once had to threaten that I was going to find out the phone number of the VP of operations before a "Lead Support Professional" would escalate a problem to the developers.  Got a sutiable answer less than two days later

(not for a BackupExec problem, tho  Smiley Very Happy )

Message Edited by Ken Putnam on 04-11-200711:51 AM

Greg_Meister
Level 6
Just to give everyone in the thread a heads-up: We currently are researching this printer issue. If anyone that is experiencing this, that has a support contract, could open a support case for this, that would greatly help in gathering system-specific diagnostics to help resolve this as expediently as possible.

Thanks in advance,
Greg

Hemmer
Level 3
I had a case open but they closed it as I opened it in the wrong support form. If you could be so kind as to point me to the correct area I would be glad to open a case.

Greg_Meister
Level 6
Also, can anyone affected please specify which build you're running? I'd like to know if this is specific to build 6235 or if it affects 7170 also.

Hemmer
Level 3
I am using the 7170 build