cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

non-native restores of encrypted backup exec tapes

Doyal
Not applicable
I have a need to extract data off of hundreds of client tapes, encrypted w/ Backup Exec v11. I am wanting to find a way to do this w/out building out a couple of hundred servers to do the restores over a brief period of time.

Is there a SDK or API that I can call, pass the encrypted data through with the client pass phrase, and the unencrypted data stream out the 'other side'?

...It doesn't hurt to ask, righ? ;)
2 REPLIES 2

Hemant_Jain
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

From your question, wht i understand is you want to convert encrypted backup set to unencrypted backup set. Duplicate backup would be the best option for you, which would not involve restore, but would take time as much as the backup took. So, you can setup a duplicate backup job to duplicate the encrypted data and do not use encryption in the duplicate backup job. Following tech note would help you create duplicate backup jobs:

http://support.veritas.com/docs/255866

Please mark this a solution, if this is useful.

Thanks

Hywel_Mallett
Level 6
Certified

Are you just looking to restore files from the backups? If so, you should be able to do it from one BE server, no need to build hundreds of them. Instead the single server can hold multiple encryption keys. (I wonder if Symantec have tested the maximum number a server can have). If you really want to have an unexcrypted copy of the backup, you can duplicate the existing backup sets, without using encryption on the duplicate. These duplicates can be to tape or to disk.
Perhaps a more detailed description of what you need to achieve, and any constraints you may have would help.
As for an API or SDK, don't hold your breath!