cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ntbackup halts Backup Exec job

Jody_Reed
Level 3

I am running Backup Exec 2010 sbs edition on Windows server 2003 sbs.

Basically what is happening is if my Backup Exec job runs a little long it bumps into my exchange backup which is scheduled using ntbackup. When this happens it halts BE and throws a system error. The BE exec is backing up to HP RDX drive and the ntbackup is going to a seperate NAS device(large external HD). To prove this problem I had a BE manually doing a failed backup from last night, and as soon as I opened ntbackup utility it halted BE. The errors being thrown suggest a problem with RDX drives, but I have confirmed they are stable. I use 6 different disks and the problem is not specific to any particular one. The only trigger is starting ntbackup, and it doesn't even use the RDX disks for a destination... I also don't see any issues with memory.

Just for completness I will include logs.

Anyone had a similar issue and possibly have any solutions?

Event Type: Error
Event Source: Removable Storage Service
Event Category: None
Event ID: 106
Date: 5/27/2013
Time: 8:01:13 AM
User: N/A
Computer: XXX
Description:
Multisided media 394 could not be identified in library HP RDX USB Device. RSM attempted to flip the media to identify the second side but could not because the media was in use by another process. This media has been forced into the Unrecognized pool and left in the disabled state. Perform a full inventory or eject the media and re-insert it into the library to fix this situation.

Event Type: Error
Event Source: Removable Storage Service
Event Category: None
Event ID: 104
Date: 5/27/2013
Time: 8:01:13 AM
User: N/A
Computer: XXX
Description:
New media named "394" was detected in library HP RDX USB Device having at least one unrecognized side and at least one recognized side.

4 REPLIES 4

Marco_Tafur
Level 4
Partner Accredited

I guess you can't use two VSS compliant backup tools at the same time. I once had the very same problem in a customer who had the same idea.

Do not use two backup tools at the same time, specially if using complex backup operations like snapshots based on VSS Provider and not just filesystem copy.

VSS: Volume Shadow Copy Service. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shadow_Copy

hope it helps.

Marco

pkh
   VIP    Certified

1) You should turn off RSM as it is not recommended for BE.

2) Are you aware that the BE SBS edition includes a licence to backup Exchange?  You should use BE to backup Exchange, rather than NTBackup.  It is always better to stick to one backup software.

Jody_Reed
Level 3

Thank you for the answers! I have recently stepped into this role, and was just working what was previously in place. I will definately look into your suggestions.

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

In reality we don't support RSM (at least on the media serevr) any longer and it should be disabled

This of course then scuppers any ability to use NTBackup which I believe requires it.