cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ntuser locked after complete back-up...

Smashing
Level 3

Hi,

After a succesful back-up of an Windows 2003 Std Terminal Server, the NTUSER.dat files for all user profiles in the c:\documents and settings subfolders are locked and are only accessible after a reboot of this server.

Excluding these files does not result in a solution.

When i do not back-up this server the problem disappears, but that is off course not an option....

Can this have anything to do with the VSS Writer or has anyone seen this behaviour before?

I run the VSSADMIN LIST WRITERS command from the command prompt to see if they are stable, and they are... no error messages.

Modified the job to change the setting "Open file backup when Advanced Open File Option is not used" to "Never" instead of the default "With a Lock" without any positive results...

Any further help would be apreciated...

4 REPLIES 4

Symantec_Empl1
Level 4
Hello Smashing,

Thank you for using Symantec's online support.

During your backup if you're backing up Shadow Copy Components, then the registry for each user profile is being backed up as well. (i.e. NTUSER.DAT file is the registry for each user's profile.)

Providing that there aren't any problems backing up the Shadow Copy Components or System State, then you can safely exclude those files without reprocussion.

Lastly what comes to mind is the possibility of using Symantec AntiVirus Corporate Edition. 10.x on the Terminal server while using Backup Exec.  SAV CE has a security feature that loads each user's profile's registry and scans them.
If SAV CE is being used, then please review your scan histories to see if any are being done during the backup window.

It is possible that the two of them are conflicting and together are the cause for the problem.

Smashing
Level 3
Thanx for the reply,

But even when i exclude the profile directory's or the ntuser.dat files they are locked after i succesfully back-up this server.

I will check the Mcafee antivirus logs on the terminal server and will get back to you.

Smashing
Level 3
Searched all the log files from Mcafee, no strange entry's or something about the ntuser.dat files.

Smashing
Level 3
Hi Guys,

Does anybody has a solution yet,

I'm in urgent need of an solution....

Thanx in advance..............